Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 and 2010 Jaguar T/D specs

Newbwithabow

Default 2009 and 2010 Jaguar T/D specs

Hi all.

I was just comparing the 2009 and 2010 specs for the Jaguar take down recurve and notice some small differences.

The 2009 specs list the Jaguar as having a brace height of 7" - 7 1/2" and a length of 62", here's the link where I found this information for 2009, http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/oldspecs.php.

The 2010 specs list the Jaguar as having a brace height of only 7" and a AMO length of 60", here's the link where I found this information for 2010, http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/tech2010.php.

As you notice the lengths are different. So what do I go by, I'm assuming since mine is a 2009 I'd go with the length of 62". Meaning a string length about 59", but from what I've been reading, people are getting strings about 2" shorter (57" string) for there Jags which would indicate a 60" AMO, the 2010 spec.

So confusing. Now if I understand correctly, depending on the string length of a bow, it will determine the brace height. The shorter the sting the longer(wider) the brace height, and the longer the string the shorter(narrower) the brace height. Am I understanding this correctly?

And if I'm thinking correctly, you could just put different size strings on till you get the correct brace height. So basically Brace height is what's really important, right? And how is the correct brace height calculated?

So much to learn.

Thank you so much

deanrm

Your brace height is measured from the deepest part of the grip to the string. You might want to start at 7" and increase it until it shoots smooth.

Your bow is 60" AMO, which means that your string is probably about 57".

eldermike

You can add twists to the string to increase brace height. I have my jagTD at 7-3/4 inches.

Newbwithabow

Quote Originally Posted by deanrm View Post
    Your brace height is measured from the deepest part of the grip to the string. You might want to start at 7" and increase it until it shoots smooth.

Your bow is 60" AMO, which means that your string is probably about 57".
    Thanks deanrm, I was a bit confused with the specs on the website.

Newbwithabow

Quote Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
    You can add twists to the string to increase brace height. I have my jagTD at 7-3/4 inches.
    Awesome eldermike, I didn't know you could add twists to the string. Thank you.

How do you know if you put too much brace height?

eldermike

Quote Originally Posted by Newbwithabow View Post
    Awesome eldermike, I didn't know you could add twists to the string. Thank you.

How do you know if you put too much brace height?
    Sorry it took me so long to answer.

Recurve tips tell you when you have gone to far. You do not want the string to go to far past and reveal to much of the grooves on the inside of the limb tips. When you have the string resting in the grooves with a bit of the groove still showing you are about right.

With all that said: In theroy you can put the brace height up until you make a longbow out of it but you will lose performance. There are very good archers that shoot with way more brace height than 8 inches, they understand the loss of performance but it's a trade off in hand shock and other dynamic things that happen when you let the string lose.

Newbwithabow

Sorry it took me so long to answer.

Recurve tips tell you when you have gone to far. You do not want the string to go to far past and reveal to much of the grooves on the inside of the limb tips. When you have the string resting in the grooves with a bit of the groove still showing you are about right.

With all that said: In theroy you can put the brace height up until you make a longbow out of it but you will lose performance. There are very good archers that shoot with way more brace height than 8 inches, they understand the loss of performance but it's a trade off in hand shock and other dynamic things that happen when you let the string lose.
    Thanks eldermike, but can't seem to understand what you mean about the grooves inside the limb tips. I'm looking at my bow right now, but I still don't understand what your saying, sorry Maybe a picture of what your describing might help me.

Sorry

eldermike

If you unstring your bow and look at the inside of the limbs, up at the top and bottom close to the tips you will find a depression in the center of each limb. This keeps the string in the center of the limb with the bow is strung. When your brace height is about right your string will come off the limb tips about where the depression ends with a small portion of the depression showing. If it's to high you will pull more of the string out of this depression.
    you can twist your string to raise the brace height.

Note: Recurves have some string touching the inside of the limb when the bow is at brace height. Longbows have no string touching the limbs. That's the only difference between recurves and longbows.

Newbwithabow

If you unstring your bow and look at the inside of the limbs, up at the top and bottom close to the tips you will find a depression in the center of each limb. This keeps the string in the center of the limb with the bow is strung. When your brace height is about right your string will come off the limb tips about where the depression ends with a small portion of the depression showing. If it's to high you will pull more of the string out of this depression.
    you can twist your string to raise the brace height.

Note: Recurves have some string touching the inside of the limb when the bow is at brace height. Longbows have no string touching the limbs. That's the only difference between recurves and longbows.
    Thanks eldermike. I understand now.

D.haurn

Default 2009 and 2010 Jaguar T/D specs

dose anyone have any info on the new Jaguar Take-Down good or bad or when it will be released thanks mike