Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice, Exercises, Drills ???

JohnnyThunder

Default Practice, Exercises, Drills ???

Are there any exercises or drills that a person can use to become a better shot at shooting the bow ?

It just occured to me that I could probably do a lot better job and improve my shooting skills faster if I had some way of organizing my self-coaching instead of just setting out a target and shooting.

You know how a baseball pitcher doesn't just pitch all the time, they practice different drills to learn the mechanics ? Same sort of concept except applied to bow and arrow instead of to baseball or another sport.

Any suggestions ?

Teweede09

Default Practice Exercises Drills

What exercises or drills can you do to quicken your jabs as well increase the power of them?

Post Thanks / Like

what a friend & I do is after warming up, we start a friendly competition. using a bag target with 12 circles, we have to pick which circle(s) to hit before moving on to the next. we shoot at 10, 20, 30, & 40 yds and only 4 arrows at a time. usually the 10 & 20, I shoot 4 - hit 4, 30 & 40 takes a lot longer (I've only been shooting for a yr). we'll try different angles, behind trees, standing/sitting. may not be the exercise or drills to answer your question, but for us it breaks up the routine of just center bull shooting.
    Ray from Auburn
    2011 Mathews Z7 w/QAD
    2011 Bear Strike Blackout w/QAD
    2011 Bowtech Assassin w/QAD
    2010 Elite Z28 w/QAD
    Carbon Express Maximas
    100gr Thunderheads
    100gr Tru-fire switchblades
    100gr Cabelas CopperHeads

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ray from Auburn View Post
    friendly competition
    Having competition can certainly improve your shooting, especially on those 'lazy' days when your not concentrating enough. A bit of motivation.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by markingfoxrays View Post
    Reply to Thread Reply to Thread Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
    Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Good point.
    i was just thinkin the same thing.

i'm lucky to have access to the local community college recreation center. i do spend a couple three days a week using their weight machines to build up my old tired back, shoulder muscles as well as biceps and triceps. nice indoor walking/jogging track monday through friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much a drill, but an archery club near me has 3d range, and have a metal cutout of deer with a 6" hole in vitals. If you miss, you break an arrow. Puts a little pressure on. Heh
    '07 Martin Pantera, QAD Ultra-rest Hunter, 4" Fuse Stabilizer, Thermal Grip, Norway String Tamer G, Limb Savers

Post Thanks / Like

Blind baling. This is where you stand about 10' in front of a large target, preferrably one at shoulder height to let you shoot level. Remove the sight from the bow. Draw, anchor, and shoot as you normally would but with your eyes closed. The idea is to not think about aiming, but just concentrate on execution of the shot. One arrow at a time. No group shooting here.

If you join a club anywhere close then ask some of the better target shooters for some coaching lessons. Most would be willing to give advice on shooting form and/or equipment setups. See if there is one or two people that consistently shoot perfect or near perfect scores. These are the guys who have spent the time to learn good form and shot execution. Once you find such a guy open your mind as at least try some or all of the things he suggests. There's nothing more frustrating for a coach than a student that asks for help then makes every excuse in the book for not doing as he suggests.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default Practice, Exercises, Drills ???

I agree with bfisher, blinding bale shooting up close and personal, so to speak.
    Taking the sight off so you don't to sight in on some hole or blemish helps. BUT! Blind baling with the sight on also helps. Here, you looking to find peace with yourself. Everything in place, calm and collected, the sight pin should come to a complete stop. Okay, your strong, but relaxed and the pin stops, holds there and automatically the shot goes off. (Qualify stop below)
    There are two forms of this. Just mentioned, the pin stops, holds there and automatically the shot goes off. Second, the pin stops, holds there and hold it there for some seconds and you let down. Yes, let down practice. I am at fault with forcing the shot as much as anyone else, but that doesn't mean I don't what should have taken place. Here, the shot isn't there or falling apart and we force it. Force things and the shot will not be good or at the least not as good as we wanted.

Seeing the shot before you ever take it. You can practice this without a bow. Think of how the shot should progress, like the above blind bale practice. You know where the arrow should go, where the pin should settle, how the pin should virtually come to a stop.

Stop defined, my outlook; Target shooting and 3D are not the same. Shooting a target, like indoor matches, the pin just sort of floats within the bull's eye and the arrow some finds it's way to the X ring or at least stays in the bull's eye. Movement is there because; the brain wants to see the X and there is a ring to stay within that effects the mind. This movement is said to be natural as in the brain wanting to see that the X is still there. Letting the pin float is something of driving a car down the highway. Do you consciously steering the car keep it in a straight line or do you float down the highway, staying on your side?

Said in another post, most people can shoot 3D better than they can spots. 3D does not have that dang ring to stay within. You place the pin where you think the wanted point is and you shoot. Here, the pin really does seem to stop as there is nothing to say it's moving.

Post Thanks / Like

CarlosII has a good point. Some conditioning and stretching is a good idea. I hate to give a plug but I work out on a bow flex. Mostly shoulders and back. One thing to help the practice shooting...in the spirit of aim small miss small, I set up two or three block type targets. disregard circles or vitals. I insert wooden golf tees in a couple areas on the target (round end facing me) and log how many shots till I split one. Makes you focus and work w your sight pin control. Have fun!
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!