Thread: Hunting big bucks in odd places.

Hybrid View

timtim146

Default Hunting big bucks in odd places.

Hey guys ive been hunting for a while now and i have been watching some big buck on public land for a while now and have come up with a theory. You see when people go after big bucks what do they do? They go back to the thickest part of the woods as they can and they find some rubs and set up by them blah blah blah. Well i have learned something. Deer are smart and they know what your doing so what do they do? go somewhere else! I have seen more big buck hunting near the road then anywhere. Now im not talking right next to the road but at least in eyes view. If you can set up near a road with a swamp nearby and have buck sign i think you will be pleasantly surprised. Now this is just what i have noticed over the past few years and is just my opinion but lets talk about it. I would like to hear other peoples ideas.

JohnnyThunder

I think you've got a point. I know deer will go where you're not if they know you're there thats why you have to do your best not to disturb them. But sometimes you can use their tendency to move away from a hunter to your advantage.

For example, you go into the woods with two hunters, you give one hunter a head start about 100 yards and then the second hunter follows. You walk right into where you think the bucks are. Now when the bucks smell you coming, if you are moving quickly they are likely to sit still and wait till you go by unless you get very close to them. If they jump, the first hunter often gets a shot. But more likely they will sit still till the hunter passes then get up and try and slip away once they're behind the hunter - this is why the second hunter follows.

Another variation of that same theme is two hunters walk into cover, one hunter stays the other hunter leaves. Deer that are flushed out of the cover will often come back when they think the coast is clear and deer probably can't count by smell so they won't realize there is still a hunter when they think you've left because the other hunter left.

My Dad and Grandfather both put me on a lot of deer when I was growing up using one or the other of those methods.

Another trick I've found is that when stalk hunting, don't forget to pay attention to whats going on behind you, a deer will try and circle around behind you in order to stay out of your way if you're watching whats going on behind you you got a good chance of catching him when he slips up and shows himself. I've killed a lot of deer that were there when I turned around and quickly back tracked 50 yards.

Unfortunately while those methods work really well hunting with a gun, as I've found this year it doesn't work so well with a bow because allthough you'll see deer chances are you see them moving and far away not see them standing still at 20-30 yards.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them in bow range standing still without them knowing I'm there - thats pretty challenging.

I've got a swampy area on my hunting property near the road, usually I just walk through it on the way into my tree stands. I may take your suggestion and hunt that area on Sunday its a good place to hunt as like you said its near the road so I've not hunted it yet this season and its low lying and wet and its not rained in a few days. Good idea, I will check it out on Sunday.

timtim146

Yeah i always hunt gun season here to but never really do so well on the ground. But if i think about it i dont really back track when im hunting so i will do that it sounds smart. And yeah thats cool i hope you get one there. You said you walk through the swamp to your stand though? do you usually run alot of deer off because most the deer around here bed down in them swamps. That's another reason i like being close to a swamp. You get the deer going in in the morning and them coming out in the afternoon. I always see more in the afternoon which is weird because people i know always see more in the morning so idk lol but yeah good luck hunting there and i hope i helped some

timtim146

so did you ever have any luck out there? Yesterday i seen a spike with like 12 inch tines lol and a real huge 8 point but never got a clear shot on either of them and seen nothing today even though it was a perfect day :/ Im hoping to get something this week!!

glenfoxman

Default Hunting big bucks in odd places

Ya that is a good spot. There is only one problem with the spot it is really overhunted. I know whenever i tried to go hunt that little pond several times there was allways somebody else in there hunting. Honostly the fowling up there is so great that pretty much anywhere else you can find a good source of standing water you are going to do good with decoys. Also not to far from that pond if you go go right you can set up on the river and there is a lot of birds that fly into there. Beaware though that the tide does come in. And be careful wadding out there.