Thread: Good women's bow?

Nate hunter

Default Good women's bow?

I am looking to buy a Martin bow for my g/f as a Christmas gift because she wants to get into archery hunting. I own a Martin but I just don't really know what kind of bow would be best for a woman. She is 5'8" and needs a bow with the 40-50 lb range. Any good suggestions on a beginning woman archer?

Thanks a lot

SandSquid

The (NFAA) TN State Adult Woman Freestyle Champion shoots a Martin Mystic, and highly reccomends it for those of shorter stature and especially those with less than a 28" draw.

Post Thanks / Like

Really couldnt go wrong with the Bengal.!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure she can handle a 50# bow? Also do you want a brand new or an older bow? She is about 175cm, so the DL should be about 26-27" and most of the bows will be ok for her, except the Shadowcat and the Warthog i think.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

flytier17

The best womens bow Martin makes for beginners is the Leopard. Its a good starting point, and not to expensive.

If you have the ability to coach her and assist her getting setup and tuning, the new 2010 Crossfire will be more advanced, allowing her to grow into the bow, and appreciate it more as she becomes more skilled as an archer. It will require a little more knowledge of cam timing, and draw length setup etc..., but thats where you come in. Don't forget, if you need advice on getting the bow setup, we are always happy to offer advice here too. We have some top-notch archers here with loads of martin experience that should be able to answer most of your questions.

If you think she will really take to archery, and become a serious shooter, the Martin Mystic is a high-end womens competition bow. it is very forgiving, and easy to shoot accurately. However, the dual-cam timing and more advanced adjustability of the bow requires more time and patience and expereince to get the full benefits of it. Don't get me wrong, she can just pick it up and shoot it once the DL is set too, but it has endless opportunity and room for her to grow as an archer.

If she intends to hunt (even if its a possibility), the Crossfire will offer more kinetic energy to ethically hunt with. Short-draw low-pound bows don't offer much KE, but at a fixed DL and DW, it will have more killing power than the Leopard or Mystic for her.

Martins are a great choice for beginner archers. Only Martins have a 15lb adjustment range for every bow (most other companies only adjust 10lbs), which will allow her more room to grow as she builds the muscles important to shooting a bow. Also, adjustable draw lengthe will help. Getting her setup, you may not know her exact DL, so an adjustable system will let you find the right length for her. Also, as she becomes more used to a bow, she will relax, and drop her shoulder and elbow, which could result in her DL shortening by 1/2" or so. Again, with a Martin, you can adjust for that.

Of course the best way to choose a bow is to let her shoot and decide for herself. Seeing as this is a gift, this may not be possible, but if you can somehow swing it, it is the way to go. have her shoot bows set to her DL, and all at the same draw weight with the same arrows so she can have a fair comparison.

Hope this helps. Any questions; feel free to post up.

Alec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nate hunter View Post
    I am looking to buy a Martin bow for my g/f as a Christmas gift because she wants to get into archery hunting. I own a Martin but I just don't really know what kind of bow would be best for a woman. She is 5'8" and needs a bow with the 40-50 lb range. Any good suggestions on a beginning woman archer?

Thanks a lot
    At her height and DW range you specified she could handle any bow you could. I would only be concerned about her hand size if they happpen to be small.
    But as mentioned in another post...Sandsquid I believe?...a Mystic or S4 with mag limbs would fit the bill nicely mainly because of their smaller forgiving grips and they are a little lighter than past bows like the S2 or S3.

Nate hunter

It is a gift but I want her to be able to go into the store so they can fit her for the exact draw lenght and everything like that so technically it is a gift but she is going in with me when I buy whatever bow it is that best fits her. I just wanted to see what everyone on here thought through their experience in archery. The bow will not be for competition shooting at all, it will only be used for hunting so based off reading these posts I am going to look into the Crossfire and read up on its features. I really appreciate the replies and if you have anymore suggestions plz keep them coming as I own a Martin Phantom but I am pretty much a beginner archer myself considering that when I hunt most of the time I am gun hunting. I am about to start doing a lot of archery hunting though because everyone I talk to says you come to appreciate it so much more and the sport becomes more exciting.

Also she does not have small hands, her fingers are abnormally long ha so I do not know if that would help in yalls recommendations or not but I know there was a post about her maybe having smaller hands when that's not the case here.

BadgerND

I bought my wife a Martin Bengal, and she loves it. She had a Hoyt before, and she prefers the smoothness of the Bengal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nate hunter View Post
    The bow will not be for competition shooting at all, it will only be used for hunting so based off reading these posts I am going to look into the Crossfire and read up on its features.
    Try to get her to shoot a Crossfire side by side with a Cheetah set at the same poundage. Same axle to axle but the crossfire has the CAT1.5 cams and the cheetah has the single cam setup. The CAT cams are pretty agressive and may be a bit much for a beginner, even at 50 pounds. The single cam setup is super smooth and will save you some cash, but she will lose some speed.