Thread: Martin Bengal ?

Billygun

Default Martin Bengal ?

I have a Martin Bengal that was purchased this year is ther any cams that will increase speed on my Bow.It is 45-60 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

The CAT cams would increase it, why didn't you just buy a bow with the cat cams already, like the firecat or warthog. You would also need new limbs for your bow if u got different cams...if this is even possible

Post Thanks / Like

As Jake said, the MPro or M2Pro cam is not a speed cam by any means. It's virtue is the smooth draw cycle. You could look for some Nitrous cams or Fury or any of the earlier cam systems which should fit, but you'd need the new reinforced limbs to change to Cat cams. This would be totally cost inefficient. New bow would be cheaper in the long run.

Keep this in mind for the future. If you want speed then look at speed bows. In doing so realize that to get speed you have to draw a harder cam. Not necessarily more weight, but a cam with harder draw. There is one thing about harder cams. You can get as much speed with them as the softer cam while drawing about 7-10 # less draw weight.

That's why I shoot a FireCat. Compared to my Moab the FireCat gets the same speed at 8# less draw weight. And at 8# less that hard cam doesn't seems near as harsh.

Bows are pretty much all alike in one respect. The more speed or power you want out the more you have to put into it. There is no free lunch.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a Martin Bengal, too. It's pretty fast as it comes from the factory (IBO 320fps). I don't know if you'd really notice a few more feet per second, but the wear and tear could go up. My new Bengal is one of the smoothest bows I've ever shot....and I've shot many, many bows in my lifetime. I don't think I'd give up that smoothness for a little speed.
    Good luck in your quest.
    ________
    yamaha specs
    Last edited by baerman; 01-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Billygun

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    The CAT cams would increase it, why didn't you just buy a bow with the cat cams already, like the firecat or warthog. You would also need new limbs for your bow if u got different cams...if this is even possible
    This is my first bow and didn't really know a whole lot about them so i depended on the people in archery at cabela's to lead me in the right direction.I appreciate the info.Thanks
    Last edited by Billygun; 11-13-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Billygun

All info is appreciated fella's and any more info is welcome.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Being a new shooter you may have gone to the wrong place to get your equipment. Many box stores such as Bass Pro and Cabelas do not have employees experienced in archery. They may help you pick decent gear, but don't know how to properly set it up and/or milk the speed out of it that it is capable of.

As has been mentioned so far, the cam on the Bengal is not a speed cam. It is a decent cam for a smooth draw and will certainly produce enough speed to kill anything you are likely to hunt. At the moment it is probably a good choice for you as there is a lot more to this game than having a lot of speed and kinetic energy. You need to learn good shooting form to accurately and the easier cam will help with this.

You are probably shooting a fairly heavy arrow and have lots of accessories on the string, such as a kisser button, tube aligned peep and so forth. These are speed robbers. Something you'll learn as you progress.

I wouldn't get all hepped up over the speed thing. Yes, it's nice, but I can assure you your bow will not get anything near it's IBO with any setup resembling a hunting setup. Depending on your bow's draw length, draw weight, arrow weight and such you would do well if the bow is shooting 240-260 fps. That is still about 60 fps faster than some of my first bows and they killed animals plenty dead.

Live with what you have. There is nothing wrong with it at all. Learn what you can about form and you'll pick up other ideas along the way. Believe me, I've been doing this for 36 years and still learning new things all the time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver