Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many ppl shoot an STS and have a lot of noise

tommyhydro

Default how many ppl shoot an STS and have a lot of noise

ok, so i have a STS on my cheetah and have noticed a lot of noise, i guess i am just indecisive as whether or not to keep it on my bow, so i figured i would take a poll of the site. my main problem with deciding is that my rest makes some noise, but i cant afford a new one at the time, and my string has had some damage, like 3 strands broken by my "pro-shop" at my peep sight, figure that would cause some noise too. so how many people on this site shoot an STS and have a lot of noise?

JimmyIkeLee

If your sts is to close to the string it can make noise... Try moving it away from your string farther

Post Thanks / Like

I use a STS, but not a factory one, but homemade and i think my bow is more quiet. I made a video of shooting with and without the STS to hear if there's a difference, also upload it in Youtube to receive other people's opinion. May be you can do so?
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

tommyhydro

Default yeah

just took a closer look at it and found that eventho the set screw was tight, the STS rod wobbled a lil, had to fab a new set screw since i stripped the original one out, hopefully should help, also now have the stopper set about 1/8"

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad has an 07 Bengal, like I said in another thread, and I shoot a 07 Jaguar.
    We both have home built STS systems and I believe my bow is actually quieter with it. My Dad's Bengal has to have an STS or it is NOISY even with string leeches.

Post Thanks / Like

i have 2 martin moabs a 2008 and a 2009 both have sts on them, the 09 came with one installed, i made a home made one for the 08 it worked great, but i broke down and got a factory sts for it to , looks better. i also have cat whiskers on both bows strings, I don't like the leeches.t. i thought the 08 was noisier than it should have been , so i let a friend that i trust shoot the bow while i listened , it wasn't as bad as i thought it was. i hope you get another string for your bow, it's not safe imo to shoot with 3 strands broke. good luck
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

JohnnyThunder

I have an STS and honestly I never noticed it being noisy before I put it on there in the first place, but once I got the STS on there I was surprised how it was suddenly so quiet.

Stevet

Default Sts

Noise issues aside, I like the STS because it helps balance the bow. Unfortunately, my Rytera Bullet X is not drilled and tapped to accept one.

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhydro View Post
    ok, so i have a STS on my cheetah and have noticed a lot of noise, i guess i am just indecisive as whether or not to keep it on my bow, so i figured i would take a poll of the site. my main problem with deciding is that my rest makes some noise, but i cant afford a new one at the time, and my string has had some damage, like 3 strands broken by my "pro-shop" at my peep sight, figure that would cause some noise too. so how many people on this site shoot an STS and have a lot of noise?
    it made a differance on my bengal

just curious...what is it on your rest that is so noisy you can hear it over the shot? Is there not a way to quite it with a rubber pad or moleskin?

724wd

Quote Originally Posted by Stevet View Post
    Noise issues aside, I like the STS because it helps balance the bow. Unfortunately, my Rytera Bullet X is not drilled and tapped to accept one.
    and you don't want to add a front mounted STS? i put a limbsaver front mount on my 04 Phantom II, and though i hear the slap while shooting, my buddies say it's quieter from a difference. and i also use cat whiskers.