Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 291 fps Firecat, but hearing a crack/slap!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 291 fps 2010 Firecat, but hearing a crack/slap!!

took my bow to gander mtn today to chronograph it. im getting 291fps at 70# with a 27" 5575 goldtip expedition hunter at 368 grains (85 grain fieldtip included). im very happy with this except for a loud crack/slap after release. ive been shooting outside and thought i was a little loud, but inside of their 10'x40' range, its real loud. any ideas of what to look for. they told me i need rubber on the limbs and wanted me to get the $55 tune-up. its only 2 weeks old, so no tune-up. they also suggested an octane tripwire rest. my center shot was off by 1/4" i know thats alot. i could see where the fletching was hitting the launcher on the QAD hunter rest. i switched out the launcher to the one with the smaller arms and fixed my center shot, went out back, shot 6 arrows and can still hear the crack/slap now that i know what to listen for, its not as loud, but still there for sure. he also put a square on my cams and there is a lean in the top cam, bottom was good and parallel to the string. is this a defect in my bow?? this lean really does have me concerned. do i need to ship it back?? what do you guys think the crack/slap is comming from. i just shot 18 shots and i am clearing the rest now, but do still hear the crack/slap. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ezbite; 12-02-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: correct typo & add pict

Post Thanks / Like

Check for lose module screws. That made my Warthog really loud. better check ALL screws you have anywhere on the bow.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

tommyhydro

Default hope this helps

i had a somewhat similar problem with my cheetah/STS, try moving your STS away from your string, about 1/8", also try to wiggle your STS, that was my problem, the factory set screw to hold the STS got stripped out and i wasn't getting it tight enough, had to fab a new one and my bow is now veeeeeeery quiet, i shot a doe @ 15yds, she was standing with 5 others and the only ones that even knew i shot was the one i did shoot and the one in front of her, the others just stood there. sorry for rambling, but hope this can help you out

Post Thanks / Like

nope the cam lean isnt a problem, i have a little bit with my bow and im shooting a little faster than you, but the cracking sound is most likely from your STS, or a loose mod. screw

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, check every nut, bolt, and screw you can find on the bow. Check the STS clearance. If nothing is found then check cam orientation. Cams that are over rotated tend to make more noise and vibration.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

timtim146

Alright so im guessing this is to close? lol If i move it farther back how much quieter do you think my cheetah will get?
    Attached Images Attached Images

timtim146

Oh and sorry about the picture being so big.

Post Thanks / Like

Should the STS be closer to the D-loop or bottom cam?

timtim146

Wherever it can be installed at? lol idk but id guess closer to the d-loop

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you have a single or dual cam Firecat, but we've discovered that moving the STS closer to the bottom cam on a single cam bow usually quiets the bow down. This may or may not work for a dual cam. I hope this helps.