Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow unknocking at full draw.. need help

Snohunt

Default Arrow unknocking at full draw.. need help

Hey guys.. so I am a brand new guy to archery.. life long hunter.. but new to archery. Anyway.. I have been practicing for almost 6 months now with my new saber. I got the whole package set.. bow, quiver, arm guard, arrows.. the works.. anyway.. I decided to try it out on an elk hunt about a week ago and at the end of the first day.. my shot went wide left on a cow elk about 50 yards away.. it was an ill advised shot but nevertheless when I got back to camp I decided to check my sights and sure enough I was off about 1 ft to the left at 20 yards.. I have 3 pins set at 20,30 & 40 yards.. anway.. I got that all fixed but then as I was practicing every time I pulled to full draw, the arrow would come unknocked.. I removed the string loop thinking maybe the knott was knocking the arrow off.

I have no idead how to fix this and it is still happening.. I dont know if the draw length somehow got stretched out.. the arrow still has an inch or two on the rest above my hand.. any ideas?

Ended up switching to the rifle to get my elk.. but wish I could have kept hunting with my bow..any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

bad nocks? what kind of rest? i heard whisker biskets will pull arrows off sometimes if they get dirty.

Snohunt

its a whisker bisket...still doesn't look dirty and only happens when you get to absolutely full draw.

I have my bow loop tied with one knot above the knock and one below (with a little space left for the arrow knock to go)... Im thiking it is pinching it..

frustrated.. I can imagine this is best assessed by looking at it.. hard to describe into words.

timtim146

Yea im going to say bad nocks. Are they loose when u put them on the string? Try several arrows and see if it does it to all. If your nocks are tight then even a dirty biscuit wont pull it off. I reccomend new nocks and a drop away :] lol

Post Thanks / Like

Contrarily I have seen nocks that are too tight forced off the string if shooting directly off the string, but Ill venture a guess here and say that your loop doesn't have enough room between the knots---pinching as you mentioned. However it is common for most people to have their nocks too tight on the serving.

Put it this way. If you nock an arrow and hold the bow horizontally with the arrow hanging toward the ground does the arrow fall off? If it does then the nocks are too loose. To fix this the proper way you should replace the center serving with larger diameter serving. However you can get by using a few wraps of dental floss till you get the desired fit.

Doing the same thing, with the arrow hanging give the string a good tap with your index finger. Does the arrow fall off? If it doesn't then the nocks are too tight in the serving. Suggested cure? Replace the serving with smaller diameter serving.

Here is a suggestion for tying a loop. Where you would normally tie the top knot try tying a nockset on about 1/8" wide. Now put a nock below this leaving about 1/16" gap tie another nockset 1/4" wide below the nock.. Now tie your loop above and below the two tied-on nock sets.

This does a couple things. First, it makes a straighter string where the arrow nock clips on. Second, when you draw the bow your release is vertically right behind the nock instead of slightly above it. Third, it keeps your loop knots from pulling together and pinching the nock.

Try it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Here is a suggestion for tying a loop. Where you would normally tie the top knot try tying a nockset on about 1/8" wide. Now put a nock below this leaving about 1/16" gap tie another nockset 1/4" wide below the nock.. Now tie your loop above and below the two tied-on nock sets.
    this is exactly how i have mine tied on and today the gander mtn crew said i needed to cut it off and just go to a loop only? i like it like this and im keeping it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezbite View Post
    this is exactly how i have mine tied on and today the gander mtn crew said i needed to cut it off and just go to a loop only? i like it like this and im keeping it.
    Be your own Pro. You have shot with it like this and know how it shoots. Whether you like it or don't is your decision. Don't let somebody in a store or proshop tell you otherwise.

Different strokes for different folks.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Snohunt

Default Thanks.. new question for rest and #

Thanks, Guys... gosh I am new.. so.. the whole thing was my fault.. I adjusted the windage on the whisker bisket too much where on some arrows, the broad head would come in contact with the bow itself and unknock.. I have since corrected..

However.. I do have a few other questions..

I was thinking of just upgrading the accessories on the bow this offseason and spending the time practicing with the new digs..

As stated earlier.. I have a Martin Saber at 28 inch draw at 60#.. I want to take advantage of the advertised speed and increase the # to 70#.. according to the manual, I can do this myself by adjusting the limb bolts as one turn = 3 #s.. what are your guys thoughts doing this on my own.. are there any dangers with the strings itself I have to watch out for?

Also.. I want to upgrade my rest to a fall away.. after some advice from a fellow Western bow hunter.. he really recommended one.. What fall away bow rest really goes well with a Martin Bow.. are there any accessories I need to get to ensure a good solid fit?

Finally.. thinking of adding an STS stabalizer.. what are the advantages of doing this? what can I really expect from it and what does it do?

Thanks for indulging a new guy!
    Last edited by Snohunt; 11-26-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i went from 60 t0 70# in a week on mine. a turn or 2 a day. i felt more comfortable each day doing it, first day i was like, eeeeew might not be a good idea.. i think its a good move getting getting rid of the whisker bisket. ive never been fond of the idea of my fletchings having to pass thru the whiskers and when i started looking for a rest, i read alot of bad things about them and robbing speed because of how they work. that being said, my best friend swears by whisker biskets (he also missed a 32 yard shot on a doe this year) i got a free QAD hunter fall away with my bow from the shop, wasnt timed right or set-up right at first and i hated it, i finally got out the dvd that comes with it, got it set the way I want it set and now i love it. as far as the STS, mines comming off saturday and im shooting without it to see if i can rid my bow of a slap/crack after the release.

timtim146

Alright so you want a good drop away?? Hmm well there are so many that are great products and after that it is just preference. I myself love the vapor trail limb driver. Its nothing fancy but it is the most accurate and trusty drop away i have ever used. Also as mentioned above there is the QAD that is also a great drop away if you are willing to spend the cash on it. And the ripcord is similar to that but a little cheaper etc... The drop away that i have been using the trophy hunter. It is cheap, reliable, and easy to install and tune. These all will work much better than a biscuit but whatever you get is up to you :] hope i helped a little.