Thread: Newbie

canada99vette

Default Newbie

Hello, first post here. I just purchased a Martin Saber. My old bow is a Bear Whitetail 2. Going to sight the new bow in tomorrow morning. Any opinions on the Saber?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never actually shot the Saber, but every Martin bow I have seen being shot so far has been very accurate. My Dad owns a very old Saber and it too was very accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new bow. I guess you consider it quite a step up from your old one. Good luck with it. If ever you have any questions feels free to visit us, or just stop in for a chat session once in a while.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

canada99vette

Thanks, my old one worked pretty good. My new is about a foot shorter tho Just trying to figure out arrows now. One question for you guys, In order to set the peep sights I had to adjust the site way down to the point that when i load an arrow i actually have to angle it and put it in the rest first then onto the string, otherwise it hits the sight. Is this normal or is something way off?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, you need to do some adjusting. You are anchoring too high. You need to lower your anchor points. Then you'll most likely have to raise the peep in the string; same thing for a kisser button if you are using one. Just a guideline, but your peep should be about 6" above the nocking point.

May I also assume that you touch your nose to the string? If so you may even have to change the draw length of the bow, probably making it longer.

The result of moving the peep and lowering your anchor is that it changes the takepff angle of the arrow, making it shoot higher. This should allow you to move the whole sight up.

Now while I'm at it I'll refer you to www.archerytalk.com. Do a search for "shooting form" and look for posts by Nut&Bolts. He has so many good threads, most with pictures that should help you out some.

Then come back and chat some more. Let us know what you find out.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver