Thread: Question about proper form for shooting

JohnnyThunder

Default Question about proper form for shooting

Ok I know when I shoot that technically I'm supposed to have my feet parallel to the target, but is it bad if my stance is opened up slightly ?

I think I do better if my stance is opened up a little bit, with my back foot forward of a purely straight line.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask, its a little hard to explain.

For one thing, its easier for me to draw the bow when my stance is opened up some, and also my bow seems to "fit" me better when my stance is opened up just a little bit.

It just occured to me that judging from what I've read online about how to shoot correctly that I really should have my rear foot farther back more inline with my shoulders and the target. I was wondering if I should make an effort to do that ?

I've been practicing a lot lately and I'm really trying to get better with my shooting - any suggestions or advice would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with a slightly open stance if it works better for you. Part of having good form means form that is repeatable for you. Comfort plays a major part of form, too.

You know, there is good "book" form and then there is good "common sense" form. You learn the basics from the book. Then you change to suit yourself.

That doesn't mean that you can't experiment with other stances. If you don't you'll never find out if something else works better. And that stands for anything in archery; different draw length and draw weights, releases, arrows, bows, sights, , and the list goes on and on.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

JohnnyThunder

Good, I hope its not a bad habit that I need to break or anything. I've been pretty much shooting that way all my life, when I was kid I learned to open up my stance when shooting my recurve to prevent my arm from getting slapped silly with the bow string.

Post Thanks / Like

my pro had me stand 5 feet in front of a target, close my eyes, get a comfy stance, raise and draw my bow and fire 3 arrows on where i thought the target was(dont look at the target when nocking arrows inbetween shots), open my eyes. my feet were off line and the bow was off target and the arrows were too. they hit it, just missed center. i stood there and he got the arrows(its important NOT to move when someones getting the arrows), he told me to close my eyes again and we made a feet(yes both)adjustment with my eyes closed. went thru it again. the third time, i drew right up on target and hit the bullseye. he said now, thats your natural stance. its no joke either. when my groups start to loosen up. i go back, close my eyes and find my natural stance again by just raising the bow and opening my eyes(i dont recommend shooting arrows with your eyes closed, my guy is old school). im getting pretty good at just walking up to the line and finding my natural stance first thing. unless i rush, then everything goes to crap. try it with a friend, maybe it'll help, i did me.

JohnnyThunder

Jedi archery! I like it.

Where did you find a pro to coach you ?

I asked around at all the pro-shops near where I live and they all act like they never heard of anyone getting archery lessons before.

Post Thanks / Like

i just got lucky, hes less than 10 minutes away. went to martins web site and did the search for a dealer and wala! his coaching even came free with the bow
    Last edited by ezbite; 12-01-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty good analogy of how to figure it out. Most people, shops or otherwise, don't have the knowledge or patience to teach it, and then there are those that don't have the patience to learn it.

Anything to do with form eventually turns into a matter of muscle memory if done long enough. Even bad form. That's why it's important to learn good form from the beginning.

Johnny, I tell a lot of people this, but if you want to get some good coaching then find and join a local archery club. Get involved enough that you learn who some of the better or best target shooters are and ask their assistance. Many are willing to take a less experienced person under their wing and "pass on" what they've learned.

If you're lucky you'll find one particular person that will mentor you like I did some 35 years ago. Then someday you'll be the mentor for somebody new. That's how this sport progresses.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver