Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow flying off to the right

JohnnyThunder

Default Arrow flying off to the right

Got my boy a Leopard for a christmas present. So we were trying to sight it in tonight and when he's shooting it the arrow is flying severely off to the right. Were standing maybe 5 yards away from the target to begin with and when he's shooting he's missing the target completely by maybe 2-3 feet.

He shoots left handed.

Now I shoot his bow left handed and I'm on the target looks to be within a few inches of where I'm expecting, so I know the sights aren't off too much.

I've tried standing behind him while he's shooting and I can tell its not that he's aiming at the wrong place, but I can't seem to figure out what he's doing wrong thats causing the arrow to go flying off to the right like that. When I'm standing behind him it looks like he's more or less lined up with the target, but when he lets go the arrow jumps like probably 40 degrees off to the right as soon as it seems to leave the string.

I'm having a heck of time figuring out what he might be doing wrong, and I don't want him to get discouraged.

Any suggestions ?

Richard

dominant eye?

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts, too. He's aiming with the wrong eye.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

JohnnyThunder

he's left eye dominant and I'm pretty sure he's closing his right eye

timtim146

Im not sure it would work at all but maybe you could have him try to shoot with both eyes open?

JohnnyThunder

i'm not sure that would work

here's the thing, I stand right behind him and I can see that his arrow is pointed right at the target, so I don't think its a matter of he's just imcorrectly aiming off the target -- if that were all it was, I think I could see that

but he aims and shoots and its leaving the bow taking off at an angle -- its hard to describe, but seriously thats what its doing, its not going close to where he appears to be aiming, and I've shot his bow too so I don't think its a matter of its just not sighted in right

he's doing something, but I just can't figure out what it is

timtim146

Is he torquing the bow really bad? Maybe when he shoots he pulls to the right. Other than that im outta ideas lol i hope you figure it out.

JohnnyThunder

I'm not sure I would know how to tell if he was torquing the bow, in fact i'm not really sure i understand what that means to tell the truth about it.

Whatever he's doing its kicking his arrow really hard right.

timtim146

Well if you hold the grip on your bow to hard you will torque it which will make you shoot inaccurate. or even when you shoot the bow may pull to the right. Have him loosen his hand that he is holding the bow with up a bit. He may feel he needs to hold it tight because it might fall or something but loosening his bow hand will help alot. I hope these pictures that i got off google will help lol

The picture on the left shows a man holding his grip to hard which will cause torque. The picture on the right shows a more relaxed loose grip which will be more accurate and wont cause as much torque. Now he doesn't have to hold the bow as loose as the picture on the right but anything should help. Hope this help to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so you stand right behind him. Does he appear to be "peaking"? Something you might try is moving him closer to the target (hope you have a decent backstop). Stand and draw, aim as usual, but once he's aiming have him close his eyes. This might show if he is aiming and following through.

I do assume you know how to set up a bow. How's the centershot of the rest? Another thing just to gab a bit. I have my FireCat set up for me and it shot very well at any distance I could manage. Shooting one eveing at 15 yards I let a friend shoot it. We are pretty much the same draw and same poundage. I just wanted him to compare the draw cycle compared to his Raptor. When he shot the arrows hit nearly 1' to the right of where they do when I shoot. Call it what you will, but I know we both don't torque our bows. I have no idea of what was going on other than------who knows?
    Maybe this is the case with your son.

If he is fairly consistently shooting to the same place for now I think I'd forget how you see the target and move his sight so he hits.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver