Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there no way to????????

racknspur

Default Is there no way to????????

Is there no way to get a tubeless peep to line up on a Double Helix string!!!! I know, I know...get a new aftermarket string and I will, but this string is still in great shape.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be possible. I have done that also before. Had the string enough time to settle in?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

moab54

Default bite the bullet

I had to replace my double helix with a Vapor trail within two weeks. The string is of such poor quality you will be very lucky to get it to settle down and work with a tubless peep.
    Immediately after putting on a Vapor Trail the peep never moved again.
    I know its a shame to have to buy a new bow and replace a string right and spend another 60 to 100.00 dollars, but -----
    Good Luck

racknspur

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    It should be possible. I have done that also before. Had the string enough time to settle in?
    Actually not sure. The guy I bought it from(MOAB '09) said it was only 3 months old. It def. looks like it's been shot and in the woods no doubt. The string was real dry when I got it and I've prob. got a hundred arrows through it. I just put the tube and peep back in. In a while I'll order an H&M string. Mike builds a hell of a string and a lot less $ than most.

drevilmike77

Default yes it is

you can put some serving ubove and below the peep. you can then slide the serving up or down depending on what you need and this will help move the peep.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a heck of a time with my Moab earlier this year. Same problem as you guys. Peep rotation. I went through the peep orientation thing and got it to line up. Eventually I replaced the center serving to a smaller size to fit the nocks properly and the problem kind of resolved itself. The peep still rotated, but only about 5 degrees or so.

Just something I've seen over the years is that most factory strings are not made with enough twists in them so the strands never get to work together. The result is constant creeping and peep rotation. Also it's hard to tell by looking just how many twists are in those Helix strings. I just remove mine from the bow and untwist the thing and start putting my own in. I end up with something like 60 twists for a 90" string.

You can add a lot of twists to them, but down the road this creates another problem. As you twist the string the strands compact into a smaller bundle. Then you start getting serving separation or slippage. I don't have a problem with this as I just redo the whole thing, but some guys don't have the know how or tools to do this. The other problem that arises is that sometimes to get the proper amount of twists in a string it ends up too short so there goes the A2A and brace height---into lala land.

That being said, strings are a lot better than they used to be, but there's still room for improvement. And it's not with the material the string is made of. They are all very similar. It's how the string is constructed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by racknspur View Post
    Is there no way to get a tubeless peep to line up on a Double Helix string!!!! I know, I know...get a new aftermarket string and I will, but this string is still in great shape.
    if you get on Sterner Duttera's websight they sell the "stringsplitter peep" and also a new product which is called a "peep aligner". You put this in the bottom of your string and can move it up or down which changes the setting of your peep. It allows you to (according to them) re-align peep any time any where just by sliding this device up or down. You might want to check it out on their site and make your own mind up. I have not tryed one, only read their add. Good luck

Desmond

You can also go with a peep in which you need to devide the string in three strands and problem solved.

eldermike

I may have been lucky but all I did on my firecat was let the limb down, lift off the string, add a twist, crank it back up. I had to do this twice but it's close to perfect and has stayed that way for half a year so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe something else to consider

I've been using a No-Peep sight eliminator for well over a year and can't see myself ever going back to a string peep. Apparently this is no longer available according to the website's homepage but there's another very similar product called Anchor Sight (http://www.archeryinnovations.com) that is available and has a few features the No-Peep doesn't have. If you don't know about them Google no-peep and/or anchor sight - you'll find a lot of info.

A few of the advantages I liked were 1), no string peep to ever get out of alignment, 2) less weight on the string, 3) it allows more shooting time, early morning/late evening since the light entering you eye isn't limited by the small aperture of a string peep and 4) it shows the shooter very quickly if there is a torque problem with the way s/he is holding the bow.

The Anchor Sight has a few more features like dashed lines in the sight disk that can be used to adjust for different shooting distance and the micro-adjustment design makes it easier to adjust to its final position when first mounting the device.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)