Thread: Arrow spine confusion

Gray2Hairs

Default Arrow spine confusion

As a newbie I'm trying to understand arrow spine a bit more. I have watched recurve finger release videos and the arrows look like snakes heading toward the target. with the dynamics of the finger release, spine seems to be very important. It almost seems that any spine could be used and "tuned' to be accurate at a specific distance.

My question is regarding compound bows, mechanical releases with drop away rests.

It would seem that an underspined arrow would be a greater challenge to control than overspined. I watched one video demonstrating a fall away rest and the arrow did not display any visible flexing.

If the arrows are consistant would overspined arrows do anything bad so long as everything is tuned for them? Could significanly overspined arrows be accurate and consistent? Would an arrow that did not bend at all shot from a bow that had the string go forward without deflection and the nock point moved in a straight line go straight?

Are overspined arrows more forgiving to tune or is the only right answer to very carefully select arrow spine?

Post Thanks / Like

Overspined arrows will fly perfectly well, if everything else is perfect, but, it isn't. There is vertical and lateral nock travel, slight differences in the way a bow is held, and other outside influences, that will cause the arrow to randomly leave the bow.

A properly spined arrow, will absorb those minor variations and "forgive" them by flexing, instead of veering off course. An under spined arrow, will over flex and steer itself off target.

You need to find the most forgiving balance. That, is your ideal dynamic spine.

Gray2Hairs

Lightbulb

The word random helps. Reading that was a real ahh moment, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what your thinking is right - if everything is static.
    But a bow firing in a humans hand is not static...
    You and I may shoot the exact same bow but I may group a slightly heavier or lighter spined arrow better than you.
    You have to find just what bow/arrow/rest/whatever that works the best for you.

just m2c...