Thread: Stupid question about bow strings

JohnnyThunder

Default Stupid question about bow strings

OK, so I have this Martin Recurve bow that my grandfather gave me more tha n 35 years ago when his arthritis got too bad for him to shoot it anymore. I used to shoot it all the time in the summer when I was little, but I've never put a new string on it, so Its been at least since like 1975 since its had a new string on it.

Well I see on eBay that there are Martin bow strings for sale for like a penny apiece plus $5.95 shipping.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do I know what size string I need ? Just get a tape measure and measure it or something ?

I want a new string, but I don't know where to get one other than eBay - none of the archery shops near me carry anything but compound bows. I've taken it to two different pro-shops and everyone always says the same thing - "Beautiful bow, but sorry -- can't help you".

Post Thanks / Like

The string you need is quite simple to figure out. Somewhere on the side of the riser (handle) there is ifnormation about the bow. The bow's AMO length, the poundage, etc. You order a string the same as the length of the bow. In other words if it reads 62"AMO then that's how you order your string.

Don't ask me why it is this way because the string is made 4" shorter than the indicated AMO length. If the bow is 62"AMO then the string is made to
    58", but don't let this confuse you.

The only other thing you need to be aware of is that you cannot shoot any type of fastflight string material with an older bow. You can only shoot strings made of Dacron or B-50 material.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny, why don't you buy some Dacron and make yourself the string? There are a lot of videos about stringmaking in Youtube.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

JohnnyThunder

Well that sounds fun, and I would like to know how to do that. But I'd rather just buy one and put it on there and be done with it.