Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frozen module screws

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes its good to have a backup girlfriend too...

golfisserious

never is...never is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golfisserious View Post
    never is...never is
    Great reply, (she's reading this thread hun?)lol

Longrodder

Try some spray such as KROLL or PB Blaster. Spray it on and let it set for about 20 minutes. Try the screws then. WD-40 is a lubricant...not a penetrant.

Post Thanks / Like

did try some blaster also, same results

racknspur

Got mine out w/a kit I bought @ Lowes specifically for removing stripped or stuck screws. You have to carefully drill out the screw a bit with the bit provided then use another bit in the kit (reverse threaded) and it should come out, but you will need a new Mod. screw. It worked very good, but you do have to be VERY carefull not to bore out the hole it the com. As far as I could tell, I didn't come close to the actual cam hole. Good luck. Oh, kit was about $20.00

Post Thanks / Like

I've had trouble with cam module screws sticking too. I thought it had something to do with using dissimilar metals - steel screws in aluminum holes. I had some stick almost to the point I wasn't sure they would release and just as I was about to give up they would snap loose. This would always produce a brief metallic odor kind of like what you smell when welding. I just thought that was normal. Another thing - I've always just given them a slightly snug final torque so it's not like I've been cranking down hard.

I recently decided to replace the OEM screws with stainless steel screws for a different reason. Last fall I hunted in rainy weather quite a bit and didn't wipe down my bow as often as needed to prevent rust. Consequently several black steel screws started rusting, including the cam screws. When I was taking the old screws out for the last time one screw just wouldn't break loose. I too tried WD-40 and put some serious twist in a Sears allen wrench. It finally busted loose after several attempts over several days.

So, is this something to be concerned about? Should I contact Martin to see about getting the cams and modules replaced? Would this, along with cam lean at full draw, be justification for replacing the cams, modules, limbs and limb cups like Barry did recently?
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)