Thread: TR-1 vs Pantera

Haze

Default TR-1 vs Pantera

I'm interested in a TR-1 (Pro Series) or the new Pantera (Gold Series). Both look identical and the specs seem to be the same as well. Anyone know what the differences are? I'm assuming the Pro-Series is somehow better but I'm just not seeing it right now.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, both Gold Series bows and Pro Series bows are equal. I don't believe you can go wrong on either bow.

drm11900

I'm with ya Haze.

I have the exact same dilemma, The local pro shop tells me that the Gold series bows are the cheaper line from Martin and that only the Pro shops can get the Pro series for you. We just had a Bass Pro open here in Altoona and they are looking into getting me a TR-1. If they can't pull it off then I'm going with the Pantera. It's wierd ya but Bass Pro is not a Pro archery shop.

I've heard great things about both bows from other members and I don't see where there would be any noticeable difference in either bow for a backyard shooter like my self.

I will mostly use the new Martin for hunting. So I'm going for the penatration and ease of tunability of single cam over the speed of a dual cam, with that said I ruled out the TR-2.

stehawk

Quote Originally Posted by drm11900 View Post
    So I'm going for the penatration and ease of tunability of single cam over the speed of a dual cam, with that said I ruled out the TR-2.

That makes no sense at all TR2 is faster with more KE. You basically go through the same tuning process for both. Biggest difference is speed and price. If you're just looking for a nice hunting bow go with the TR1---if you want speed for 3D, etc---go with the TR2. Bottom line is the the TR2 will out perform the TR1.

Post Thanks / Like

What Tehawk says is true. The tuning procedure is the same whether the bow has one cam or two. Actually, more can be tweaked with a two cam bow to get more out of it than with a single cam bow.

The biggest difference between Pro series bows and Gold series is the strings. The Pro series come with Dakota strings made by Stone Mountain, a higher quality string than the Helix strings on the Gold Series. This usually about a $75 upgrade when replacing strings. The Helix strings can creep a bit more and experience peep rotation, which means sometimes a bit of adjusting periodically to keep the bow in tune. It's not all that bad, but something to be aware of. Most people may never be able to tell much difference except for the peep rotation issue.

What you, as a potential customer, must decide is whether you want to dish out the money for premium strings and/or two cams. The dual (Cat) cams will be about 15fps faster for a given draw weight shooting the same weight arrow. They also have a different (harder) draw cycle, but not as bad as some would think.

Doing a more hjonest comparison in performance, I like to suggest setting both bows up to shoot the same arrow at the same speed and then weigh the draw weight. The dual cam will produce equal speed compared to the single cam, but at about 8# less draw weight.

If you are just a bowhunter and hunting whitetails in most hardwoods settings then speed should not be a priority anyway. The difference in point of impact is only about 2" when comparing that extra 15 fps.

The best thing to do is, if possible, shoot both bows in a side-by-side comparison, then make your own choice.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Haze

Thanks for the information and opinions, thats exactly what I was looking for. Right now I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix + for both hunting (whitetails) and shoot on a bow league. I'm not totally unhappy with the Hoyt (dual cam) but i dont like how the riser goes behind my hand and wanted to try a single cam (smooth draw) bow. For me personally I think it will make a difference, I really like the Pantera and TR-1 on face value but havent shot either. If I can find one (? a pro shop around here) then I think the TR-1 is for me - I dont mind spending a little extra for better quality. That said I would still like to know the price difference - I can get a Pantera for right at $500. What does a TR-1 go for and if I find a pro-shop how hard are they to get? Again, thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been listed on here somewhere that the TR-1 is $499 retail, so basically the same as the Pantera. As bfisher indicated, the Pro Series Firecat comes with better strings. However, the Pantera comes with standard cloaked parts, which I think is super cool. I don't think the quality is any different, except for the strings.

drm11900 made the point regarding differing availability of Pro versus Gold series, which is an important factor. I have experienced a Pro Series shop refusing to sell Gold series bows back when there was a bit more difference ('08 Moab vs '08 Bengal), but I'm not sure if that is common. Their reasoning was that the bows were available at box stores and they couldn't compete with the prices. If you have a local Martin Pro Series dealer that you like, I would buy the Firecat there and support your local pro shop. If something goes wrong with your bow and you aren't able to do work on it yourself, your dealer will be helpful. Martin will definitely stand behind a Pantera bought at a box store or internet retailer, but it wouldn't be as smooth as if you had bought the bow from a pro shop.

Just my 2 cents.

drm11900

I wonder what the difference in cost would be for a cloaked TR-1 vs a string upgrade on the Pantera? For Christmas I got a lot of Bass Pro cards from the kids and the wife so that's where my money is. Still no word as to whether they can get the TR-1 for me. If not then I'll see about the string upgrade on the Pantera.

Earlier when I stated the easier tuning of a single cam I meant timing and cam lean. I have a P3 dual cam that nobody can seem to get set right that is until yesterday. The Bow Expert at Scheels nailed it! So finally I'm getting the P3 to hold better groups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drm11900 View Post
    I'm with ya Haze.

I have the exact same dilemma, The local pro shop tells me that the Gold series bows are the cheaper line from Martin and that only the Pro shops can get the Pro series for you. We just had a Bass Pro open here in Altoona and they are looking into getting me a TR-1. If they can't pull it off then I'm going with the Pantera. It's wierd ya but Bass Pro is not a Pro archery shop.
    I've heard great things about both bows from other members and I don't see where there would be any noticeable difference in either bow for a backyard shooter like my self.

I will mostly use the new Martin for hunting. So I'm going for the penatration and ease of tunability of single cam over the speed of a dual cam, with that said I ruled out the TR-2.
    Cheaper as far as price, the quality is no different. They have to have something folks can order or get from a "big box store" and yes BPS is a "big box store"...a Walmart for sportsmen if you will that is why they are not considered a pro shop.