Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who prefers what for arrows?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who prefers what for arrows?

I was just wondering who shot what for arrows and nocks. I have been shooting Goldtip Vapor Hunter arrows with GT nocks and inserts and 2in. vanes.
    They have .006 straightness tolerance and a weight tolerance of +/- 2 grains per dozen. They make a perfect hunting arrow and are accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot many different types and spine of arrows over the years. Started with fiberglass, the got Easton 24SRTX aluminums. Soon graduated to XX75 and then to X7's. Played with Beman and Easton extruded carbons in the early 90's.

In 1995 I got Easton ACC 3-18 and two years later 3-28's. I still have at least half of each size left.

About 8 years ago I had some Blackhawk Vapor 23 Speeds for 3D and they were decent arrows. Also shot Beman ICS and Easton Litespeeds. In 2004-2006 I was a shooter for Gold Tip so shot some of their Ultralite Pro series of various spine defelctions.

Have never shot Carbon Express simply because they are too hard to pull from 3D targets. The only thing they really pull hard on is your wallet. Then again, I don't lose or bust up arrows much so a dozen of anything lasts me as long as ten years or more.

Now, all this rambling brings me to an answer to your question. For pure quality and accuracy I find the ACC's to be the better of all the arrows I've shot. This is due mainly to spine consistency. I could care less about straightness or weight tolerances so long as they are reasonable. Spine is where the accuracy comes from.

I do not consider cost an obstacle (to a point) when it comes to arrows. People will spend $800 on a new bow and then scrimp on the one item that delivers a broadhead or target point to it's intended mark. They get it all backwards.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The only cheap arrow I have ever shot was the Easton Explorer ($20 for six) from Dick's Sporting Goods. They weren't bad, but I like the Goldtip Vapor Hunter better.
    I have also shot the Carbon Express Teminator Lite Hunter. I did notice that they were pretty acurate. As far as fletching goes, I only use 2 inch vanes.
    They seem to be more accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Hutch,
    I've recently begun to shoot the Gold Tip arrows, after years of being an Easton fanatic. So far, the Gold Tip Hunters really fly straight. Their specs are outstanding and the pricing was more than fair. Give me three more months of testing, and I'll give you my eval on them.
    Take care brother........and have a wonderful Christmas Holiday!
    ________
    Aprilia RSV Mille
    Last edited by baerman; 01-22-2011 at 03:40 PM.

RogerSr

I have also shot a lot of diffrent arrows over the years, but the last two or three years I've been shooting GT Ultralight Pro 500s and Victory X Ringer HV 1s for target and 3D,
    and Radial X werve 100 for hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I got the Gold Tip arrows in the first place was for the price. I had done some research on arrows and pricing, and those arrows were perfect. I spent under $70 for a dozen at Sportsman's Guide. Here's the link to the arrows: http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=559080
    I figured for hunting deer, they would be great. Now maybe next year I can get a deer.

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Express Maxima 350's, like bfisher said, a bit more pricey, but for me they have lasted a long time, so it was worth the money

Post Thanks / Like

I have always liked the Maxima, but it was a little out of my price range when I was looking for arrows. If I ever switch arrows again, I would probably go back to Carbon Express.

SandSquid

Victory NanoForce for EVERYTHING

600 spine w/ 100 grain point & feathers for traditional

400 spine w/ 120 grain point & FlexFletch FFP175 for spots and 3D

400 spine w/ outsert and 100 grain Bludgeoens & flexfletch FFP360 for bunnies & squirrels.

400 spine w/ outsert and 100 grain G5 Small Game Heads & flexfletch FFP360 for armadillo, possum, & feral cats

400 spine w/ outsert and 100 grain Magnus Stinger & flexfletch FFP360 for larger game

JohnnyThunder

Since I started shooting back in the fall, I've tried about 15 different kinds of arrows. So far the ones that I like best fortunately are the least expensive - Red Head Carbon Fury 4560s from Bass Pro Shops. I think they are basically the same arrow as Carbon Express 4560s except rebranded for sale at Bass Pro.

They shoot beautifully with my Firecat at 60#.