Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow weights

rickyjames

Default arrow weights

new to bows so it may be a silly question. got a new threshold for christmas. planning on using carbon arrows. what is the best arrow weight and broadhead weight for this bow?

also the martin website says draw weight 60 to 70 lbs while printed on the box it says 55 to 70 lbs. which is correct? thank you.

jb24333

Wink

well the 55-70 is correct. it depends on what poundage u shoot to what arrow and broadhead weight. you should shoot 5 grains per pound. so 70#=350 grains and 60#=300 grains. u should get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your bow has a max draw weight of 70#, but as all Martin compounds it can be backed with 15 pounds - in your case to 55# - every full turn of the limb bolts is about 3 pounds. When you find the weight which fits you best you can take your arrows- if you're new to archery i think it'll be better to start with lighter weight and then go to heavier. In order to that don't buy too many or too expensive arrows at the beggining. Keep in mind that the arrow must not be lighter then 5 grains per pound of the DW- for a 70# bow at least 350gr. arrow. You must choose the correct spined arrow also, but for that you must know your draw weight and draw lenght and must check the charts of the arrow companies. All the guys here will be glad to help you and most of them are more experienced then me (and english is their native language ) so you can receive better explanations
    oops, JB was faster then me...
    Last edited by alex; 12-29-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

doczerothree@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jb24333 View Post
    well the 55-70 is correct. it depends on what poundage u shoot to what arrow and broadhead weight. you should shoot 5 grains per pound. so 70#=350 grains and 60#=300 grains. u should get it.
    Anything less you risk a "dry fire" problem/incident resulting in possible damage to your bow.
    ________
    vapor genie
    Last edited by doczerothree@gmail.com; 01-20-2011 at 11:51 AM.

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjames View Post
    new to bows so it may be a silly question. got a new threshold for christmas. planning on using carbon arrows. what is the best arrow weight and broadhead weight for this bow?

also the martin website says draw weight 60 to 70 lbs while printed on the box it says 55 to 70 lbs. which is correct? thank you.
    Thresholds are a new model and i think they'll be a very nice bow. Nice present. Like Alex said you'll will need to determine what draw weight you'll be shooting and at what draw length. Those two things will determine the spine weight that will work best for your bow. When i was shooting my bow at 60lbs. draw weight, I used #55-75 "goldtip" xt hunters. They would also work great with your bow set from 55lbs. to about 65 lbs. If you set it to 70 lbs then you would need the #75-95 goldtips. That is just what i use. I threw that out there to get you started in your deciding process. There are lots of fine carbon arrows out there and most have a websight with a "arrow selection" chart to fit their arrows to your bow. Have fun and enjoy your new bow.

rickyjames

does anyone one know what bow string length i need? i would probably buy 1 or 2 extra strings as i don't know if they would always be available. i figure better to have an extra on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjames View Post
    does anyone one know what bow string length i need? i would probably buy 1 or 2 extra strings as i don't know if they would always be available. i figure better to have an extra on hand.
    String and cable lengths should be written right on the sticker stuck to inside of the bottom limb. BUT, you needn't worry about getting string for the future for fear of Martin not having them. You don't have to get strings from Martin. You can get strings at almost any archery shop I could think of, although I'd recommend quality strings made by an aftermarket string maker.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

rickyjames

thanks for the help guys, looking forward to getting to know this bow. i think it will be alot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

What is a Threshold...other than the entrance in a doorway?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry...I see it now. When did it show up on the scene or did I just not pay it any attention?