Thread: Serious cam lean

bj61

Default Serious cam lean

New 09 firehawk with some serious bottom cam lean issues. Not an optical illusion. I had my wife take pics while at full draw. How do I fix this or minimumize it. The cam also seems to be loose on the shaft and in the slot as it is easily tipped and moved. I haven't shot or setup the bow yet, I'd like to fix this first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Without seeing the bow it's hard to tell what's going on, but..........did you get the bow at a Martin dealer? If so then were you aware of the problem when test shooting it? If so you shouldn't have bought that bow. That's why we always recommend shooting the bow you intend to buy.

Maybe I'm picky, but a good shop would have you try the bow and watch for such things while you were shooting. In that case he would not have sold you the bow; at least without checking it out.

So what are your options now? Depends on the dealer. If it were me I'd take the bow back and give you another. Then get that one fixed by Martin, but that's between you and him. The very least he should do is take a look to confirm what you have said and do whatever is necessary to make you a happy customer.

No doubt Martin will take care of things, but they will want you to make every effort to work trhough the dealer--first.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

bj61

I purchased the bow in the classifieds at AT from a dealer in UT. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I don't have any Martin Dealers near me to see/touch/shoot before I buy. The bow was supposed to be new and is clearly not. most likely a demo. The finish is marred quite badly in some spots and the string or cable post on the bottom cam has the paint worn off from hitting the limb. Also the factory finish is really not good. I really dissappointed with this purchase and haven't been able to contact the seller yet I just want to know what my options for fixing this are incase he tells me to get stuffed. I trusted someone who had great reviews, guess you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say if the string post is rubbing the limb then you have a serious problem. There shouldn't be this amount of play in the cam. I'd give Martin customer service(1-800-541-8902) a call and see what they say. You might have to send the bow back to them.

Sorry to hear that you got ripped so bad. And don't be afraid to mention the dealer's name. Comapnies like to know who is a good or bad dealer.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hi BJ61,
    I know your feeling.....I bought what was supposed to be a new Bengal....it wasn't, but I liked the bow so much that I bought a new Wart Hog. The WH was new, but had some "teething" problems (Cable guard and STS were un-movable). Thanks to some help-ful advice from Barry, I finally got the cable guard pounded out of the riser, but not so with the STS. Finally had to hack-saw and hammer the STS into alignment. Bottom line.....and this is from Barry, too, got to have a hammer in your bow tuning kit. In your case, you might be able to get a new cam with the bearing already pressed into place from the factory and replace it yourself. Then you can probably eliminate the cam lean. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is.....but once you get 'em up and running the bad memories begin to fade. Just a bit of advice from a customer whose "been there, done that".
    Good luck, brother!
    ________
    Suzuki FXR150
    Last edited by baerman; 01-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.

bj61

Default Update

I've spoken with Joel at Martin. I'm satisfied that they are going to help me make the cams and the snapping noise right. I am going to keep the bow. For the inconvenience of waiting a few more weeks for parts to make things right I still get a good deal on the bow. The guy I bought it from is a part time employee and I'm quite sure he believes he is telling me the truth about the bow. Someone else probably packed it up for shipping(he didn't say that just me summizing). It was a great price and I'll just be patient.

Thanks for the advice guys Time to strip'er down and see what we got here.
    Last edited by bj61; 01-05-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: wording correction

Post Thanks / Like

Where you located. You might be surprised. It doesn't happen often but when I ordered my new cams a couple weeks ago they came clear across the country in 3 days. Washington to Pa. Not bad if you ask me. Hopefully you'll have just as good luck.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

bj61

Default I'm located

in Nova Scotia, Canada, just slightly north of nowhere

bj61

Default update

The new cams are on their way. I took the old ones off to take them to the shop that I had to have order the warranty replacements. The bearings in both cams are completely destroyed, I believe from dry firing in the store display before I bought it. Also I found out why the bottom cam leans so much at full draw and makes a snap when being let down from full draw. The bearing seat on the cable side is oblong ! There is no cracking or marks in the anodizing so it's not streatched it must have been machined that way. Anyway Just thought I would update you all to my findings. I think I should have ordered new limbs too