Thread: Martin cheetah draw smothness problems

Martin cheetah

Default Martin cheetah draw smothness problems

What can I do to make my 08 martin cheetah draw back, and let down more smooth... Please help

SonnyThomas

Default Martin cheetah draw smothness problems

I guessing the poundage is too high or abruptly drops off in the valley? First, lower draw weight. 2nd, adjust draw stop to letoff is a bit less.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. The only reason for a bow to draw and let down harshly is a draw weight that is too high for you to control and/or a draw l;ength that is too long.

The cam on that bow is about as easy to draw as you're likely to find. Now it's up to you to find out how much you can control. That's what limb bolts are on the bow for.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

FireHawk Owner

Try adjusting your draw stop first. The Valley on the cheetah has a huge hump , if the draw stop is not adjusted right.
    You will lose a little let off, but it will be much easier to let down. It will make you more steady also.

Bowhunter_IL_BT

The 2008 Cheetah I believe does not have a draw stop on the cam. I know the 2009 model does. I love that feature on my 2010 Cheetah. I have it set at 73 lbs and I have no trouble keeping that cam still with the draw stop.

FireHawk Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    I love that feature on my 2010 Cheetah. I have it set at 73 lbs and I have no trouble keeping that cam still with the draw stop.
    I would be careful having your cheetah Dw at 73lbs. That is alot of extra tension on limbs that are rated 70# max. Just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FireHawk Owner View Post
    I would be careful having your cheetah Dw at 73lbs. That is alot of extra tension on limbs that are rated 70# max. Just a suggestion.
    No it's not. That's only 3# over the rated draw weight and many bows come straight from the factory that way. Giving an example, I ordered an Alien Z this year with 50# limbs. When I finally got the bow it maxed at 58#, pretty far over what I intend to shoot. Rather than complain and go through the hassle of getting new limbs (these are Barnesdale) I just untwisted the string and cables, careful to keep the cam oriented properly and dropped the max to 54#. I could get more, but that'll be when I get new strings and cables, probably next year.

Something else this does is reduce the preload on the limbs which can't hurt with their longevity. I personally feel that a lot fof the limb problems today are simply because the limbs are preloaded too much to get the speed numbers people expect. And for what it's worth I'm a previous speed demon.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Martin cheetah View Post
    What can I do to make my 08 martin cheetah draw back, and let down more smooth
    Choices: reduce the cam rotation, drop the weight, change to a 65% mod.

Quote Originally Posted by FireHawk Owner View Post
    I would be careful having your cheetah Dw at 73lbs.
    If your going under the recommended ATA to get that extra DW then I agree. If the ATA is fine then I wouldn't worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    a lot fof the limb problems today are simply because the limbs are preloaded too much
    Cheaper made limbs I'd say.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 10-29-2010 at 08:21 PM.