Thread: Draw length

JimmyD

Default Draw length

I am new to Traditional Bows. I have been shooting compound bows for 25 years. I have 30" draw. The long bows I have looked at are showing 28 inch or less. Can a long bow with a 28" draw be drawn to 30"?

Post Thanks / Like

May be... i'm also interested in traditional bows DL. With the compounds i have a 28" DL, but when pulling a traditional bow the lenght is quite shorter - 24-25 inches. I know that there's such a thing as "actual" draw lenght, but now i don't know whether i have an actual lenght of 24-25 or just i don't pull enough. On a homemade bamboo bow i've tried to pull longer and the result was a good bow breaking... I've paid about 10$ for the bamboo, but don't want to try this with a couple of hundreds bow.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

golfisserious

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    I am new to Traditional Bows. I have been shooting compound bows for 25 years. I have 30" draw. The long bows I have looked at are showing 28 inch or less. Can a long bow with a 28" draw be drawn to 30"?
    just depends how big of cahuna's you have... every long bow has a formula for increase in weight for each inch of additional draw length... example, I have a 30 inch draw normally with compound, my buddy has a 28" draw normally with compound, we were at a buddies bow shop... http://www.thenockingpoint.com/

on the same bow, 54lbs at 28 inches, he could only shoot the bow at 148 fps, when I shot the bow, it shot 197fps, big difference, same bow... only thing that changed was draw length... if you wanna know exactly, call mike at the nocking point, and he can get you squared away, and in the beginning buy cheap arrows, or buy good ones and only have three or four cut at a time, because as your "bow muscles" build up, you will need longer arrows; Mike can do all that for you as well, maybe even make you some 27 thru 30's and ship them to you at once.

If you talk to him, tell him John and the Fish say hey.

davydtune

Most people usually draw a full 2" less or even more with a stick bow than a compound. If you've been shooting 30" on you compounds then you will be right at 28" with the curve. When shooting a stick bow you want to keep a good amount of bend in you bow arm. Some do with compounds but the vast majority go straight armed. Even when shooting a compound I believe that a little bend in the bow arm will take a shooter up a notch accuracy wise.

easyup

Default Answer to your question

The guys are right you probably have a 28" trad bow draw. To answer your question if your looking at Martin then the rating at 28" is a standard draw length at which the bows are rated, most manufacturer do this. So if you draw 30" the bows draw weight might be 4 or 6 pounds more than the rated draw weight. With Martin longbows I think the other issues you can have with a long draw length will not be a problem. They are finger pinch due mainly to shorter bows and stacking which is when the bow limbs stop loading uniformly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok lets clear this up........your draw lenght is just that...how can it change more then 1/2 " or so depending on release aids used...lets look at compounds 1st your DL is say 30" with your string on nose & anchor pt at corner of mouth adding D loop and release aid can change this anchor pt some, as long keep same anchor pt your DL is slightly shorter..

Now recurves... all are mesured @ 28" thats a standard .. so say you shoot a 55# @ 30 " thats not going to be 55# when you get it back to 30.. rember your anchor pt is corner of mouth....still 30" just because you pick up a stick bow dont mean your DL is shorter. your just not pulling back to anchor pt..that or bow arm is severely bent....

I shoot a compound set @ 30 1/2 I use D loop/ release aid, my bow arm is slightly bent. My anchor pt is knuckle @ back of jaw bone , string is on nose nock is by corner of mouth. also shoot another thats a bit shorter.. what changes ? is bend in bow arm. When i shoot my recurve its arm just shy of locked draw back till tab /nock are at corner of mouth...and thats with a 32" arrow I pull all but a inch of that onto bow.... so if any thing a stick bow DL should actually be same or longer ...you guys are using back muscles right
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recurve draw weight

Draw weights on recurve bows at weighed at 28 inches of draw, thats 28' behind the rest, beyond that they generally "stack" 2-3 lbs per inch, so if you draw a 30 " arrow in a recurve marked 50# @ 28" you'll be drawing 55-57 lbs. If you have a shorter draw, subtrack 2-3 lbs per inch. Same bow, 26 " draw will be near 45#'s.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-26-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Destroyer

Can a long bow with a 28" draw be drawn to 30"?
    If its over 62" its ok. Depends on the build quality too.