I am planning to purchase a 2010 Shadowcat very soon and am contemplating what draw weight I should get this bow in and am hoping for some advice from knowledgeable people on the pros and cons of heavier vs lighter draw weight.

The tech specs on the new Shadowcat indicate that the bow is available in 50#, 60#, and 70#. I am assuming that I will have to select a draw weight when I purchase the bow as the limbs determine its capacity for draw weight...correct?

I'm intending to shoot the Shadowcat with fingers although I may decide to experiement with a release in the future. My draw length is 29.5 and the bow I've been shooting for the past 30 years has a draw weight of about 55#.

This Shadowcat will be used strictly for hunting whitetail deer and mule deer, so all I'm really interested in is that I have good accuracy and enough penetration to kill. I have never had any penetration problems on deer with the 55# bow that I've been using, so I really don't see a need for a heavy draw weight, but I'm wondering what you guys have to say about this.

Right now, my thoughts are that I should go with the 50# bow as I believe it will be plenty adequate for deer hunting and should probably make for an easier time of shooting large numbers of arrows during practice sessions. I am 6'2" and have plenty of strength to shoot a heavier bow, but I'm thinking that there is really no need for it. However, most of the deer I have ever killed with a bow have been under 30 yards and I would love to be able to increase the distance I could shoot and still make clean kills. Would a heavier draw weight be beneficial in making kills out to longer distances or will 50# suffice just as well?

Although I've been bow hunting for 30 years, I am not very knowledgeable when its comes to the technical specifics concerning arrow trajectory and impact with different draw weights or arrow speeds, so I'm really hoping that you guys will share some of your knowledge and help me to determine what draw weight will be best for my situation. Really, the main things I am concerned with are honing my accuracy out to a little farther distance and having enough penetration for good clean kills.