Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farthest Distance shot with a compound bow

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot out to 80Yds in the Field Round. But back in the late 50's when I belonged to the Longhorn Archery Club in Pasadena, TX as part of the Club Champoinship we shot the Clout Round. That is a Round with a target layed out on the ground with ropes making a circle about 15 or 25 feet in diameter with a flag pole in the center like a Golf Flag Pole and you shot at it from 180 yds. And that was with Recurves and Long Bows. Didn't have Compounds back then.

Robert
    May All Of Your Arrows Find The Bulls Eye-MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member
    NFAA Member
    Martin Proud
    Scepter IV Elite w/Furious X Cams

bigbob

Default longest shot

when I go hunting i have to rub salt all over the arrow so the game doesnt go bad before I can get to it after i've shot it Ha ha

RogerSr

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    when I go hunting i have to rub salt all over the arrow so the game doesnt go bad before I can get to it after i've shot it Ha ha
    Now that is what I call a long shot Bob, hell i bet you eat half of it by the time you get home, and then you have to do it all over again,
    how is that RazorX shooting? let us know.

bigbob

Hi Roger,
    I only wish. Any thing over 40metres could stand there and blow raspberries in perfect safety. Still waiting on that razor x, and I'm not a very patient waiter either. Still a wise man once said all things come to those who wait.

Post Thanks / Like

During the summer - up to 100m (about 110yards) - i've hit the target on the 10th shot, about 2-3" above the X, without using a pin-my sight is set to 70metres... In all other seasons i can only shoot in the backyard - 15 yards
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    During the summer - up to 100m (about 110yards) - i've hit the target on the 10th shot, about 2-3" above the X, without using a pin-my sight is set to 70metres... In all other seasons i can only shoot in the backyard - 15 yards
    That's too bad. Now I will have to remember not to take my 70 yards for granted.
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 01-15-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    That's too bad. Now I will have to remember not to take my 70 yards for granted.
    Don't worry, it wasn't because of my skills, just luck. The other 9 shots were out of the target (well, all less then a foot of it). I didn't try this distance anymore, because there's too much walking and i had only 4 arrows
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I shot at 100 yards yesterday, and out of 10 shots, only 3 hit. This was because my sight only goes to about 90 yards, so I had to estimate where I should put my pin. It was cool to watch my 420 grain arrow fly to the target though. The only arrow I lost was when I shot at 60 yards because I thought I was at 70 yards! That arrow flew over the target by 5 to 10 feet!

RogerSr

That is why I use a range finder, with it I have not lost a arrow in a long time at that kind of range I can't judge very well and I know it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's probably the only piece of hunting equipment I don't own, so I walked the entire length while counting each step. Of course, each step wasn't quite a yard, so I walked a little farther beyond 100 steps.