Thread: Martin Bonehunter what type string?

Noxxio

Default Martin Bonehunter what type string?

hi all

I just picked up my new Martin Bone Hunter and wanted to order nocks for it but its asking me if the string is 12/14 or 16/18 ?

I looked through the manual and googled and i can find lots of info on replacement strings but not how it is stranded? (not sure if thats the right term)

Tia

Noxx

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about brass nock sets for the string? - either have a black or a red inner lining?

Noxxio

The Nock that is on there now has a red inner ring. Just figured i would stock up on little parts to experiment with my tuning

Noxx

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and just eliminate the brass nocks altogether. Use serving thread to tie on on instead. In a pinch you can use dental floss.

There are couple benefits to NOT using brass nocksets. One---it eliminates any wear on the arrow nocks and Two---it increases the speed of the bow a few fps.

I did some experimenting several years ago and found that each brass nockset on the center serving reduces the speed by about 4 fps. Funny thing is I've seen some guys use them to hold a peep in place. Then one over the nock and one under and one below that to hold a release in place while on stand. That has to be nearly 20 fps they've just robbed from their bow.

Oh yeah, there's a third benefit of using serving material to tie one on. It fits all strings.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Noxxio View Post
    hi all

I just picked up my new Martin Bone Hunter and wanted to order nocks for it but its asking me if the string is 12/14 or 16/18 ?

I looked through the manual and googled and i can find lots of info on replacement strings but not how it is stranded? (not sure if thats the right term)

Tia

Noxx
    Just so you know, your Bone Hunter is actually a Martin Cheetah renamed to sell at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Noxxio

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded.

This is my first compound bow ever.

Love the smooth feeling that this bow has. not that i ever shot any other compound bows

Went with a string loop and got a 3 finger release. Gonna take a bit to get used to after shooting finger and barebow on an old recurve

thanks again guys

Noxx

bigbob

Default nock sets

Hi Bfisher,
    re the brass nocks, the weirdest thing is that although nock sets at the centre serving might slow arrow speed, several at each end of the string 2'' or so from the cams are reputed to actually increase speed by 8fps or so . ala speed buttons. I am trying them out now myself . supposed to reduce string noise too, but I am dubious about that having had a few shots with them installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    Hi Bfisher,
    re the brass nocks, the weirdest thing is that although nock sets at the centre serving might slow arrow speed, several at each end of the string 2'' or so from the cams are reputed to actually increase speed by 8fps or so . ala speed buttons. I am trying them out now myself . supposed to reduce string noise too, but I am dubious about that having had a few shots with them installed.
    Im aware of using them as speed balls as I have done this nin the past. It can be a long drawn out affair sometimes. You have to have or have access to a chronograph. Then not only do you have to, by trial and error, find the best location for them and/or how many to use.

In the end the bow can gain some speed, but I just don't think the work involved is worth the gain unless you are really into tinkering. I used to, but since my chrono crapped out on me I don't worry about so much.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

bigbob

Hi bfisher,
    Havent got access to chrono, and dont feel like mucking about any more with them so I'll just leave 'em be for now. Still no darn Razor x as yet, must be coming by carrier pidgeon. Tomorrow [monday] will be the 13th day since I had notice they had been posted.The cat has learned to stay out of my way after the mailman has been every day!