Thread: Martin Viper

JimmyD

Default Martin Viper

I recently purchased a 2008 Martin Viper Longbow (new). According to Martin the string should be 61". The string that came with the bow is 60 1/4 ". When the bow is strung the brace height is 8 3/8" and according to the manual it should be between 7 and 7 3/4". The bow is 40#@28" draw. I know the brace height will decrease with a longer string. My question is has anyone had experience with the Viper and what length string do you use to get to the correct brace height. I am not comfortable buying a 61" string as I do not believe it will get me into the correct brace height range. Wondering if I should go longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to untwist it a little till you get the correct BH.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Martin's specs state that the Viper is a 66" bow so normally that would require a 63" string.

JimmyD

Default Bow length

I measured the bow and the length is 65 1/2. I don't know why the string that was new and in the unopened box was only 60". I have ordered a 62" string. Hopefully this takes care of the problem. Thankyou for your help.

borrows123

Alex is saying right...
    You need to untwist it...
    Then it will be fine...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you're going to be able to untwist a 61" enough to get you where you need to be.

If the bow is 66", you should probably have a 62" string. The general rule is longbow strings are 4" shorter than the bow length and recurves are 3" shorter. That's just a general rule. The guy making the bow can specify whatever he wants.

If your string is Dacron it will stretch some with use. Try leaving the bow strung and shooting it for a few days. You may have the right string anyway since the correct way to measure a string is with a 100 lb. weight hanging from it, but few of us are equipped to do that.

mike