Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Knocks???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezbite View Post
    just wondering if you can post a photo of this product.
    How long you been shooting? I thought everybody had seen these things. They've been around for at least 40 years. Seriously, nobody uses them much any more except some traditional shooters. And of course those who have found a new use for them with compounds.

Does sound interesting, don't it? Sometimes I'm amazed at some of the ideas archers can come up with.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

RogerSr

Hell I used them back in the 1960s before compound bows, when I shot long bows.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to shoot a Ben Pearson 50# recurve WAY back in my youth but never saw or used anything like the no-glove. I didn't even know they existed. I just used a 3-finger glove like most everyone else I knew who shot bows. I just happened on these and was intrigued that Strother was using them as speed nocks/string silencers. It makes some sense as they have a little weight to them and are made of rubber. The hole through them is small enough they won't slip from where you put them. Like people have often said about clothing fashions - if you wait long enough the old stuff comes back into style again. Maybe Strother is onto something new with this old school item. I should know pretty soon.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I had some time to do a little experimentation/tweaking by removing the Martin installed speed nocks and replacing them with no-gloves. I installed the double size units, centering the middle raised section over the same center location of the speed nocks. When I shot the bow outside it seemed to have a little less noise than before - not a lot less but noticeably less. While I don't have a chronograph (yet) to see if there was any actual speed difference there didn't seem to be as the point of impact didn't change from the 20 and 30 yard shooting distances I tried. Once it gets a little warmer and I have more time I'll get to shoot at longer distances to fully confirm whether there is any speed change but judging from the results today I believe Strother has discovered a new use for the no-glove. I give them a thumbs up.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default no gloves

one use of no gloves is by guys bowfishing with recurves. If anyone here hasent tried it, you should. I have never shot more in a day! its a blast! anyway, sorry to be off point.

I just bought a 09 Firecat with CAT 2 cams. Its not set up yet. The string has the speed buttons and its so new I would not replace them yet. But I would love to know how well the no gloves work to silence the string!

BTW thanks for a great post!
    Last edited by bb11; 02-01-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spell check

RogerSr

I have not used them in years, but just ordered two sets of No Gloves I'm going to see how they work on the string noise, I love trying new things.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 'eliminator buttons' (5 at each end) in place of the brass speed nocks when I changed out the string on my Firecat. Shoots the same speed as with the brass and the bow is much quieter. No other silencing products on the limbs or string...