Thread: learnin to pass em up

ridgerunner

Default learnin to pass em up

well filled buck tag last week, little 6 pointer. hunted fairly hard with my bow so took rifle 2nd time killed first deer i scene, regret. that was at a friends house. came home checked trail camera and got a 140/150 class 8 pointer ive never scene before in at 10 am and 5 pm. talk about upset!!!! he'll make a good p&y next year though

SonnyThomas

Default learnin to pass em up

Welcome to deer hunting. Learning pass on a deer is tough, especially when a youngster starts off with squirrels and rabbits. You don't pass these up. There they are, shoot 'em. And then, here, in Illinois, shotgun season began as a 3 day season years back when I was a kid. 3 days, that was it. How many learned to pass up a deer then? Then the 2nd season entered and later the second season got another day added, 3 and 4 day season. Later, 1995, a 3 day Pistol season was added and later changed to late firearms season (any firearms - see regulations). Archery season runs from Oct 1 up to late firearms season in Jan, usually second weekend.
    Well, for me, shotgun season, deer came in, dear got shot. Pistol season has always been antlerless deer and carried on with today's late firearms season. So, when pistol hunting, deer came, deer got shot.

I began bow hunting in late 1998. 1999, I took my first deer with a bow, a small 6 pointer. Probably one of the most remembered deer I ever shot. I don't regret it. Still, I knew the odds of downing a big buck, far and few in between. I took several deer in a row, not passing up any. Shotgun, pistol and bow, I shot deer. I retired and a retirement gift came in a Ruger Super RedHawk .454 Casull. I dropped a deer with it the first time out, the last firearm's deer since.
    After that, my learning to pass 'em up engaged all by it's self. I also found that you don't have to kill a deer to enjoy hunting them. What is really nice, you learn by watching them. Deer hunting has never been better.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny how experience makes us wiser. But I guess thats why they say we learn from our mistakes. You have one thing going for you ridgerunner. You can still hunt next year, you have something to look forward to. Most of all you more than likely won't make that mistake again, you'll come home with a 140/150 class 8 pointer.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

ridgerunner

Talking

well i appreciate the faith haha, im 18 and got into hunting through a friend when i was about 11 or 12 and thats when i started bow huntin. ive killed 2 with a bow, but if it was easy anybody could do it! im gettin tot he point to where ill pass up smaller deer, before i hadnt killed many, and still havent. but this years taught me a lesson!

Post Thanks / Like

Only way you can kill a big deer, if you let the little ones grow up...and no playing with them eather, doing practice stalks , calling um in close and scaring the **** out of them... all it does is educate them for latter in life ..
    just watch an enjoy the encounter , try and learn a thing or two while your watching... sorry for the rant seen it to many times guy shoots the 1st thing that looked like a deer, then whins he cant ever shoot a big buck.ok now im done
    Last edited by ElkSlayer; 12-08-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added ,
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

ridgerunner

well i appreciate the advise, not much stalkin around here though!!

Post Thanks / Like

an where is that tree stand you call home if i may ask.
    we have loged units and the eastern part of state is more open so it invites road hunters an other bozos that always seem to show up and mess up a good hunt because they wanted to see how close the could get to that herd of elk or young doe's
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/