Thread: M-Pro Cam Upgrade Options?

Hybrid View

SFTL-1

Default M-Pro Cam Upgrade Options?

I have an 08" Slayer X with 13" Super Magnum limbs and the M-Pro cam set up. I have a feeling that sometime in the near future I'm going to want more speed, so I'll be considering selling the bow for something faster or keeping it and changing the cam to a dual cam set most likely.

If I were to change out the M-Pro cam, what are my best options for speed without giving away too much in the way of smoothness of draw cycle. I would still want a 75%-80% let-off.

Post Thanks / Like

Default CAT cams = speed

Without a doubt if you want speed on that bow it would be to put the CAT cams on, its IBO with that setup is 350fps. They are aggressive. I went from a cheetah w M2Pro to the CAT cam on a firecat and have adjusted to it.
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find any in the classifieds on AT the best option is Nitrous cams.
    Surprisingly these are very smooth drawing cam with 75% letoff and a bunch of speed.

I had a 2004 Slayr that produced speeds in excess of 300 fps (IBO setup) at a 27" draw and 53# lbs. Martin doesn't make the Nitrous cams any more so they are hard to find.

The newer M2Pro cam might be a bit faster but not so much to justify the cost.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SFTL-1

I've heard the many praises of the Nitrous B-C cams, I just wish I could find a set...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTL-1 View Post
    I've heard the many praises of the Nitrous B-C cams, I just wish I could find a set...
    I've got a set, but I ain't giving them up. Something of note is what Brem said about the Cat cam. You probably can't use them on your bow. They are so aggressive that you'd need limbs with reinforced limb tips. The reinforcement is in the form of what looks like pop-rivets near the end of the limb forks.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

bfisher,
    Your stastment makes me wonder. Where did these Slayers with MPro single cams come from. Were they a special order model in 08? and if so did they make special standard limbs for this purpose because the standard Slayer came with cat cams and by default reinforced limbs. Things that make you go....hmmmm.
    Last edited by Brem; 01-20-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows, Brem. Don't know how long you've been dealing with Martin but them boogers will uild almost anything you want. As an example, I have a 2005 ShadowCat that they built for me. Instead of the standard model that was about 38" long I had them put on SE limb pockets and 14" limbsand B Nitrous X cams. The difference is that I ended up with a 32 1/2" bow with a 9 3/8" brace height.

I later added Winner's Choice rigging and a homemade STS where the cable rod usually mounts---above the nocking point about 2". It's a 45-60 with 3M limbs and I'll bet I haven't put 300 arrows through it in the last three years.

I keep getting a new bow year after year and very seldom do I ever shoot my older ones. An example of this is the 2003 Pearson Freedom (I used to shoot for them) that sat here for a long time. I went with Martin in 2004 and the Freedom just hung there looking dumb. Last winter I gave it away, complete with a Muzzy rest, stabilizer, adjustable single pin sight (new) and all the usual Limb Saver stuff, ICS 400 arrows. I gave it to some 15 year old whose father couldn't afford to buy the kid a bow. The old man is shooting an entry level Bear. Now the boy is shooting a better bow than his dad.

It kind of surprised some of my friends. They know what a tight-wad I am and couldn't believe I'd just give about $400 worrth of stuff away like that. Hey, this has been a good sport for me over the years and it's one way of me giving something back. I'm not the grumpy old man most people think.

Sorry for rambling----and the highjack.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

SFTL-1

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I've got a set, but I ain't giving them up. Something of note is what Brem said about the Cat cam. You probably can't use them on your bow. They are so aggressive that you'd need limbs with reinforced limb tips. The reinforcement is in the form of what looks like pop-rivets near the end of the limb forks.
    The limbs on my Slayer are reinforced, so I guess I wouldn't need to worry about needing new limbs if I went with an aggressive dual cam set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTL-1 View Post
    The limbs on my Slayer are reinforced, so I guess I wouldn't need to worry about needing new limbs if I went with an aggressive dual cam set up.
    In that case you could use the Cat cams. They're jsut as fast as the Nitrous and are available from Martin. However, there is a cost involved and it isn't cheap. Cat cams with modules retail for about $285 and then you'd need a string/cable set---$105 from Martin. Best bet would be trying to pick up something from the AT classifieds. Before laying out any money you might want to see if changing the cams would change the draw weight range of the bow. Things aren't always as simple as they seem.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver