Thread: How do I know what size or Carbon arrows to get?

Hybrid View

Unregistered

Question How do I know what size or Carbon arrows to get?

I am shooting a Martin Tracer LT (55-70#)
    Currently I am shooting aluminum arrows which are 26-27" length and my bow is at 58#. I would like to get some Carbon arrows that would work at the 70# range.
    Is there a middle of the road Carbon arrow you would suggest and what size?
    Thanks

Myk

Use the manufacturer's charts.
    First decide what length you want.
    Decide what weight you want.
    Subtract your point's weight (100gr for me) and insert/nock/fletching weight (47.5gr for me to give you a starting point).
    Divide that weight by your arrow length.
    That gives you your target grains per inch (don't go below 5grains per pound, 350 for 70lbs).

Pick a manufacturer and go to their website. Look through their arrows to find ones in the gpi range you want. Look on their spine charts to see which one best fits your arrow length and draw weight.

Carbon Express Terminator Lite 45/60 @ 26" seem to work OK for me at 66lbs and weigh in at 362gr with a 100gr point. For their straightness I think these are overpriced.
    I was also looking at Gold Tip Ultralight 400, they look like they will work for me with 28" arrows and should weigh in at just over 350gr with a 100gr point. These come in various degrees of straightness and the prices that go along with it.

BigBull

Default hunters friend

Hey, I picked up a lot of information from the Hunter's Friend website:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhe...-selection.htm

It's definately worth reading thru n thru...and once you decide what you want, their prices aren't too bad either.

Elk4me

I shoot about the same weight as you but a different bow. I shoot the CX 200's an awsome arrow at 7GPI. I would also look into the Easton Epic's 400 Spline with the HP insert. Iam partial to the CX brand so maybe aTerminator 6075 would be good, I havent tried the Term lights but have seen them advertised. Also the Easton Carbon Excel is a good arrow for the price too! so if your lookin for a arrow spline look for a CX 200 or 250 Spline or a 400 Spline in most other MFG arrows. I shoot a 06 Martin Saber @27" and 55-70# also

Bubba101st

I am shooting at 62#'s or close to that and really like the GoldTip Expedition Hunter 55/75's. I shoot 29.5" shafts, with the following:3- 2" blazer veins, 4" blazer wraps, and muzzy 100 gr. 3 blade BH. I think my FOC is around 10% and they fly great. I was able to get the shafts cut and shipped for about $50. I think I spent around $70 for the completed arrows (NOT including the BH's).

BigBull

Default broadheads

Hey Bubba-
    you liking those Muzzy 100s? That's what I was thinking to put on...but I've been hearing a lot of hype about SlickTricks. At twice the price, the SLs ought to be better. Whatdya think...money lost or well spent?

Bubba101st

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    Hey Bubba-
    you liking those Muzzy 100s? That's what I was thinking to put on...but I've been hearing a lot of hype about SlickTricks. At twice the price, the SLs ought to be better. Whatdya think...money lost or well spent?
    The slick tricks aren't too much different than the Muzzy mx-4. I think for the money I would go with the Muzzy's. The tip blast through bone. They are very sharp and fly well (as long as they are tuned/ spin tested well). My hunting buddy shot under an elk last year and the Muzzy 100 gr. hit a rock. The arrow blew up, but the Broadhead was fine. He killed a deer with it 2 weeks later, after replacing the blades.
    I really think that it comes down to the money. I have never shot the Slick Tricks and don't know any one that does so I can't give you any real world view on them. I went with the Muzzy's mostly for the price and then I heard of the durablity and knew I made a good choice.

BigBull

Talking

Right on, right on...I think I'll be following in your footsteps...packing muzzys. Thanx!!

BigBull

Oops...don't mean to make ya nervous...I plan to follow an elk's footsteps, that is...

Bubba101st

Right on. I ain't worried about you following me. Besides, you would have to boil me for a long time, I'm a little on the tough side. Good hunting to ya.