Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new Martin!

WR_Orion

Default Need a new Martin!

Well, I've been searching hard for a new bow and I think I'm now pretty set on getting a Martin. I just don't think you can beat the "bang for the buck".

Now I know that you should always shoot the bow before you buy it to see what is right for you personally but...I'm afraid I'm a bit of a penny pincher. I finally found a Martin dealer that's only about 40 miles away from me so I plan to go there to try out some of the new bows. But...I've also been looking at the classifieds on AT forums a LOT. There's some pretty good deals on there at times.

Here are my questions though, and I DO need help. All opinions are welcomed.

I think I'd like to keep my cost to about $400. List price of the new Bengal, how convenient! What I really want to know though is your opinions on comparing new vs used vs other models. In other words, for around $400 what's my best bet?

New Bengal - $399
    or
    Used Slayer SE, not sure of the year yet, Nitrous C - $350
    2004 Slayer SE, with sight, rest, peep - $300

or maybe a new or used Sabre???

I'd like to use this for hunting if the opportunity arises. Many thanks in advance!

Also, what is the warranty policy for pre-owned bows? Is the warranty transferrable or only for the first owner?

Thanks!

hunter

Well, I would go new ,..here's why ..1..your new bow will be covered by a life time warranty..2..the pro shop will help you set it up ..to your draw length ..and will help if you have any trouble.3. if you can always support your pro shop ..I would say wait until you get some experience under your belt before you go buying used bows ..you can save a lot of trouble by doing that ..

This of course ,,is just an opinion ..Enjoy Martins are great bows ..new bangle ..lucky dog ..

Elk4me

I also agree that you should go new for the basic fact of havin a Warrenty . I just bought a 06 Saber and love it to death. Here is a pic:

I would also say that new is a good idea so you can goto a shop and shoot a few bows cuz I was lookin at the P3, Saber and Orion and the Saber won me over in a test shoot of all 3 bow and a few other Mfg bows too .

WR_Orion

Well, one problem I just found out is that the only dealer within about 80 miles doesn't have a range They sell Martins but it's just a small town sporting goods store.

There is a pro-shop within about 15 minutes of where I live that USED to sell Martin, but no longer. Now the only thing he really carries is Hoyt and PSE, neither of which I'm really interested in.

I'm starting to get frustrated. I take vacation in 2 weeks and sure would like to have a new bow to take with me! That's been half of what I was looking forward to for vacation.

Maybe I'll just call up the sporting goods store and see if he has a Saber in stock and just buy the darn thing. I hate buying a bow without shooting it but...I have faith in Martin

(Unless of course anyone has a gently used one they'd like to get rid of for a couple hundred bucks.)

Thanks for the advice guys, you're all the best as always.

WR_Orion

Ok, Everyone has been great here but I'm a real pain in the azz sometimes so....help me out here if you will

Can someone tell me why the Slayer is better than a Saber? Or Saber vs Razor X SE for that matter? Or Bengal vs ....any of the above?

The Bengal looks great but only one thing makes me question it. Modular riser? Does this mean that it is a two piece riser that is bolted together? Not sure I like the idea of that, but what do I know, not much

I can tell you this about myself, I'm not really THAT interested in speed. If it will shoot 280+ IBO then I don't really see a reason to try to get it faster. I'd like something quiet and without too much shock preferrably. That's one reason I'm looking at parallel limbs. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but this is a major purchase for me. It's something that I REALLY want and the wife REALLY doesn't, so it better be worth it if you know what I mean.

I'm about 99% sure at this point that I want a Martin and plan to become a card carrying member of M4L! But as I said before, there isn't anywhere around me that I can actually try out all the bows I want to. I think return policies are pretty strict for bows if they exist at all. I know I wouldn't want to buy what I thought was a new bow to find out Joe Schmoe took it home over the weekend and dry-fired it a couple dozen times.

Anyway, help me out here so I can start posting about my new Martin!

Oh yeah and if any of the staff at Martin would like to enlighten me about the Bengal etc I be forever grateful, hint hint nudge nudge

Thanks all

Myk

Better depends on how it fits you and what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend.
    Better to a spottie is different than better to a 3D'er or a hunter.
    Better to me no matter what I'm doing with it is less money out of my pocket for the most speed I can get

Bengal is a 3 piece riser. Seems pretty solid to me. Even if it turned out not to be I'd trust Martin to stand behind it.

WR_Orion

Thanks Myk

By the way, where in IL are you? I should fill out my profile better I suppose. I'm about 70 Mi west of chicago. Anywhere close?

Myk

Anywhere close?
    Only to people in Southern IL who think Peoria is near Chicago

WR_Orion

Ha, know what you mean. Near Metropolis? Know someone there.

Myk

I think I was near Metropolis when I had someone say, "Peoria, that's up by Aurora isn't it?".