Thread: Having Trouble torqueing limb bolts

Snohunt

Default Having Trouble torqueing limb bolts

I am looking to increase the lbs on my Martin Saber to the full 70 lb max.. I got it from the factory with 60 lbs.. the manual says to just turn the limb bolts.. each full turn equals 3 lbs.. however when I get the allen wrench in there, I can barely turn them even a quarter more.. do you need a real large allen wrench to get the proper torque? Since the last thing I wanted to do was break it, I put it back to how I got it from the factory made a mark to know where it is at and figured I would ask someone on the board here.. Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

RogerSr

it should not take that much to turn the limb bolts all the way in, it sounds like you have them all the way in now! it would not be the first time that someone got 60# limbs when they thought they got 70s

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Snohunt,
    If you can tighten the limb bolts you should be able to first see a bit of space between where the limb contacts the riser.....if there's no space then the bolts are all the way down. If there is space.....well, sometimes those bolts can be a bit difficult to turn, especially if your allen wrench isn't made for it. I'd suggest that you visit a pro-shop.....they'll do it for you...probably for nothing, and then check your draw weight.

Post Thanks / Like

The barrel nuts are threaded cross-ways for a Martin quiver attachment.

I have seen some that had a set screw installed by an owner that thought they needed "locking" to prevent the limb bolts backing out.

Unless you use some kind of buffer like a lead shot ball, that will damage the threads of the limb bolt. The only way to remove the limb bolt from the barrel nut at that point, without damaging the barrel nut, is to drill the damaged area out of the threads of the limb bolt. Obviously, you would need to press the bow, remove the string and cables and remove the bow from the press, before attempting to conduct that operation safely.

So, check and see if there is a set screw installed in the side of your barrel nuts. If there is, I don't envy you.

RogerSr

Whats it say on the sticker on the bottom limb 60# or 70#?

Snohunt

whman....

I see no space between the limbs and the riser

RogerSr...

The sticker on the bottom says 60#s

RogerSr

Then your limbs are 60lbs limbs, you can not get 70lbs out of it! you are Maxed out now.