Thread: Broad head question

mmasteve

Default Broad head question

im new to bow hunting next year will be my 1st. i was wondering i cant decide between Fixed or mechanical broad heads. ive narrowed it down to 4 i think. Magnus Striger , G5 motec which are both fixed and Rage slipcam or Grim Reaper which are both Mechanical. i just want one that is good and will be easy to sight in i here about the mechanical that some times they dont open up and the fixed its hard to get them to fly straight. any opinions would help thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed blades require just two things to fly as field points..

1) They must sit absolutely straight on the arrow shaft. If it does not you will never get straight arrow flight (try this out by using a field point and truning the arrow in your hand. If it wobbles the insert is not straight).

2) Your arrow must have the correct spine. A broadhead will react like crazy if your arrows are not of proper spine.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

RogerSr

Quote Originally Posted by mmasteve View Post
    im new to bow hunting next year will be my 1st. i was wondering i cant decide between Fixed or mechanical broad heads. ive narrowed it down to 4 i think. Magnus Striger , G5 motec which are both fixed and Rage slipcam or Grim Reaper which are both Mechanical. i just want one that is good and will be easy to sight in i here about the mechanical that some times they dont open up and the fixed its hard to get them to fly straight. any opinions would help thanks.
    I use three different broad heads these days, they are for the different things I hunt, they are Magnus Stringers, Slick Tricks, & Grim Reapers, the Grim reapers I use for Turkey.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been killing deer with 3 blade 100 gr thunderheads forever.lol. i got some rage 2 blade for xmas from a good friend and im going to give them a try. i have heard nothing but good about magnus and im really wanting to give them a try, but i promised her id try the rage.

northGA bowhunter

Default Magnus,muzzy,trophy ridge.

For deer and hogs I shoot Magnus 4 blades and Muzzy mx4/mx3. For turkeys I shoot Trophy ridge 2blade meatseekers. They all fly great and fly the same as my field tips. I have never used the g5's or the grimreapers. I just started useing magnus last year and the are awesome broadheads but I always have been and always will be a muzzy man! If you have any questions about muzzy shoot me a pm and I will be more than happy to help you ouy in any way I can. Good luck in your decision!

J758

I like muzzy 3 blades very sharp and fly like my field tips. My dad likes thunderheads only cause he has taken a moose with them

brushrat

true story.....I've been using 3 blade Muzzy's and have them flying really well. Guess what , while hunting last fall i found an arrow close to a main elk trail and it had a G5, 100 grain broadhead on it. (no,it did not have blood or hair on it..must have been a clean miss). The arrow unfortunatley was not the right spine for my setup , but when i got home i unscrewed one of my Muzzys and replaced it with the G5 head. You have to understand how excited i was, to now own one of these coveted little gems. (i am far too cheap to spend $35 dollars for three g5 heads, but now i got one of those little rascles in my hand.) . I'm excited. After repeatedly shooting it, i found out something...... that both surprised and dissapointed me ...the G5 head did not shoot any better at all than the Muzzys, in fact if anything, it didn't fly as well and i tryed it on 3 differant arrows.

Don't get me wrong, i am not bashing g5 broadheads in ANY way, but they absolutlely did not perform any better than the Muzzys as far as arrow flight goes.

Conclusion..............

G5 broadheads= $35
    std. Muzzys= $15

Get the point? (and no pun intended)

shawnkfl

i shoot magnus stinger buzzcuts. i may try a rage this season but the buzzcuts are tough to beat. they wok wonders on a thick skin hog!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are that new and ask my personal opinion I'd advise forgetting all about broadheads for now. You have a lot to learn about shooting and setting up your equipment for the time being. You are a long way from even thinking about what broadhead you might use 6 months or so from now.

As you learn more during the spring and summer you might be able to make a more educated decision all on your own.

Broadheads are something you can buy, set up, and get shooting well in a matter of a few hours if you learn how to tune your equipment. And when it comes to which is the best for you? It really doesn't make much difference unless you can shoot the bow well and set up the equipment to shoot them straight. Almost all of them are good. Just some better than others.

Frankly, were I in the market to buy any these days I would pick either Muzzy, InnerLoc, or Slick Tricks. It has nothing to do with them "flying like field tips". My decision is based purely on construction and blade retention ability.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 8 or so different heads so far. I like the expandables for their lack of needing "tuned", but they do also seem to penetrate less. Recently I have been shooting Slick Tricks, and have complete pass throughs on 2 bucks, both over 190#. Kansas fed deer. lol My girlfriend shot a buck last year using a bow set at 48#, maybe shooting 220 fps at best. Using Shuttle T Locks, she got a complete quartering on pass through. That's alot of deer to shoot clean through at that low of poundage to me. Both the Slick Tricks, and Shuttle T Locks are the easiest to tune in that I have ever found if you are shooting a speed around 275 fps or higher. I plan on switching to the T Locks this year. Hope this helps!