Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any have ant advice

J758

Default Any have ant advice

I just got into archery. I plan on hunting with a martin bone hunter love the bow,anyways I weighed my arrows for my total grain an they weigh 317 grains I'm using a 125 grain bradhead and my arrows are spines 65 /70 I can easily shoot 30 and in on my twenty yard pin do yo think im shooting to light of a arrow I'm not shooting the full draw weight I'm set at 65lbs 70 is max

Post Thanks / Like

Your arrows only weigh 317 gr, with a 125 gr head installed?

J758

Yes 317 grain with 125 grain broad head seems to shoot hard and really fast I can shoot 30. Yards and in with it so I thought it might be to light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your arrow is too light

J758,
    At a minimum you should be shooting at least a 325gr arrow. 5gr/#. 5*65#=325. Shooting less will void your warranty not to mention make your bow louder. I also agree with copterdoc. 317gr with a 125gr head doesn't seem right. What arrow at what lenght are you shooting?
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

J758

I'll have to measure my arrow real quick my bow is really really quiet. My friend said he was impressed how quiet it was. I am not even shooting with string silencers. I'm goons measure myvarrows and I'll post it on this same thread

J758

My arrow length is 29 3/4 inches I had the a bow tec weigh them

Post Thanks / Like

Specifically what arrow are you shooting. It sounds to me like you are weighing just the weight of the arrow with no tip. Add the tip (point) and your arrows more than likely weigh 442 grains which is more than enough.

To come up with a total arrow weight of 317 grains I don't even know of any shafts that are light enough to only weigh 317 grains with a 125 gr point.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

J758

My arrows are monster buck hunter by vane tec and I had them weighed with tip and all and measured with tip I'm using Muzzy broadheads

J758

Maybe I miss understood the bow tec I was just thinking they would be too light. Cause I can put it in the bullseye from 30 yards with using my 20 yard pin I don't want to damage my bow or anything or void warrienties

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you bought your equipment at Dick's. I can just about assure you that they don't carry lighter arrows like target shooters use. To come up with a 317 grain arrow you would have to have an arrow shaft that weighs right at 5 gr/inch and that ain't happening. The very lightest target arrows you're going to find weigh in the neighborhood of 6 gr/inch.

I've tried to find your shaft on Dick's website and it isn't there. I did find them at a different website and it appears they are made by Blackhawk Archery, a subsidiary of Gold Tip. Checking on both Blackhawk and Gold tip I did not find them so they must be a hunting arrow relabeled for Dick's. I found no reference for a 55-70 arrow. I would therefore assume they are similar to a GT 5575 (400 spine) or a Blackhawk 400, both of which weigh
    8.6 gr/inch. Multiplying this by the length of the arrow and adding all the components I'd say you're shooting just about a 420 grain arrow, which is in no way too light for your setup.

My only conclusion is that somebody did not weigh the arrows properly, had a bad scale, or did not include the tip weight. If you still have doubts then you should patronize a good archery pro shop and get them weighed again just for your own peace of mind. It wouldn't hurt to do this.

If I'm correct then all you need to do is shoot the bow and have fun. Try to learn more as you progress in this sport because hunting is a blood and hide sport and animals deserve your very best.

I would also advise trying to find a local archery club and shoot there. There are always people around that will be glad to teach you things and answer questions. That's what us old guys do.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver