Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Jaguar Takedown Recurve string length

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankm View Post
    Interesting. I emailed Martin and they said to use a 57" inch string as it should be 3" less for this bow. Yet, I left the 56" string on overnight. The brace height is now at 7 1/2" which is the upper end of the brace height of 7" to 7 1/2".
    Just to ask, but do they reommend Dacron/B50 or fastflight material for this bow? The former will stretch more and should settle in, but it is slower. Speed isn't an issue though. If the limbs are not designed for fastflight you could damage the limbs by using it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

frankm

I've heard you can use it, but I didn't ask them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default FF string

I asked Martin about this and they said the Jaguar is FF compatable. I shoot a FF string on mine and have no problems.

mike

frankm

Since the FF doesn't stretch like the Dacron, what length string was it?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shooting it with a 56 1/4". With the 57" string there is a lot of contact with the limb tips. With the slightly shorter string there is less contact and it is much quieter.

mike

frankm

How's your brace height? The 2009 Jaguar spec said it should be between 7 and 7 1/2". The 2010 spec said 7". I'm wondering if you have a different brace height and how it affects your shooting?

Mine seems quieter now. I've now shot 100 arrows thru my 2010 model and the brace height is now about 7 3/8". I figure it'll settle into 7 1/4" after about another 100 arrows. This is 1/4" above the recommended brace height. But, if I would have put a 57" string on, the brace height would be about 6 1/4", about what I experienced with the string Martin sent with this bow. It would take at least 30 twists to get up to 7". Is there any benefit to trying the 57" string based on what I just told you? Martin recommended it, but it seems like this bow is made for a 56 1/2" string, not a 56" or 57".

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Frank. I'm shooting with 56 1/4 and could probably shoot a 56 1/2 and be closer to the recommended BH. My BH is 7 3/4. It's over the recommended height, but is quieter and shoots well.

Like all traditional bows, recommended BH is just that, "recommended." We all shoot a little different and therefore no 2 bows will tune and group the same for different individuals. Maybe that's why they send a 57" string - so we can twist it up to what works.

mike

frankm

That's a thought. Maybe they do send too long a string cause you're supposed to twist it up. hmmm...