Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 09 bengal cam-string problem

archer183

Default 09 bengal cam-string problem

I need some help... The string that wraps around the adjustable modules when you draw the bengal, does not wrap into the module, it rides on one side of it and then makes an audible "snap" as it pops in the groove. I took the bow into the shop here, and they can not figure out how to fix it. They moved the spacer washer to the other side, but that did not fix the issue. The bow has never been fired but has been drawn 20-30 times, and is showing wear on the string from snapping into the groove.

any ideas how to fix this? I will try to get a picture up later, if necessary.

thanks
    Greg

Last edited by archer183; 03-05-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add pictures

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a better shot of the cam showing the module where the string isn't in the track. Then show one at rest. Maybe a little farther from the bow and then don't downsize it quite as much.

This could be a case of extreme cam lean, but from the pic it's hard to tell. It just appears that the module isn't seated flush on the side of the cam. Like the module itelf is crooked on the side of the cam. Just can't tell.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

archer183

See the pictures below, larger images are at the link
    http://picasaweb.google.com/greg.mcf...eat=directlink

The following images are straight on, undrawn

The following is side on. The module is fully seated and the channel in the cam and module line up with one another

The following picture shows the cam drawn. the stop was adjusted by the shop to keep the snapping from happening (and it is causing noticeable wear on the string) while we figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.

If one was to continue the draw another tiny bit, the string would ride up on the rim of the module, and then snap down into the groove.

Post Thanks / Like

Good pics and good explanations. I can see now that the module is fully seated. It lookd wierd in the first pic. Maybe the cable was helping to cause an optical illusion.

OK, here's my assessment. I think your bow has a case of "leaning cam syndrome". Unfortunately, with a single cam there is nothing you can do to adjust the lean out of a cam. Only the idler wheel can be adjusted.

You have a dealer working with you on this. I think he should call Martin customer service and order new parts to correct the issue. Most likely new limbs, but that's not my call. Basically what I'm saying is that if the shop can't fix it then it's definitely a warranty issue.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Barry. In the last photo it seem as if the string is leaving the cam in the same crazy angle. If possible check the limb for being bent or even the axle. This bow cannot work in this configuration. Maybe you could also measure the length of the cable. Or let the shop do it. A short cable would make your cam lean this bad..

Keep us up to date!
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

archer183

Will do. question though, are both limbs identical? they certainly appear to be, and if that is the case I can have the dealer swap the limbs around, and put this one on the idler, where it can be adjusted.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the limbs should be the same and can be swapped top to bottom and vice-versa. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it's worth a try.

Before you do that though do something. Measure the A2A on each side of the limbs. See if they are different. Also have the dealer eyeball the cam at full draw to see if is indeed leaning.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

archer183

the axle to axle measurement is off by a hair less than 1/16 of an inch.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a thought...

Are the strings routed correctly and cross at the right spot thru the roller guard or cable slide. ??

archer183

Yep, they are routed the same way as shown in the pictures on martin archery's catalog