Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Bow and plastic vanes

frankm

Default Target Bow and plastic vanes

My kid has a simple black Martin 30 lb. target bow. I have some arrows (Vapors) with plastic vanes that I would like him to use. Should I let him use them as is, or should I get feathers put on them? I guess I want to know if they'll really affect his accuracy as he learns. I don't want to discourage him. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic vanes are absolutely okay.

As you will see all FITA archers will use plastic vanes on their arrows. If you plan to let him shoot farther than around 20 yds a feather will slow the arrow down too fast. Esspecially at 30 lbs.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

frankm

Oh, I forgot, there is no arrow rest, only the shelf. Is that still ok?

willow ms

Plastics are great, however if he is is using a side mount stick on type rest feathers would be better. If the rest needs changing to use vanes, I would just swap the rest. That's just an opinion. Hope to have been some help!Willow

willow ms

Off the shelf or with a shelf type rest I would recomend feathers. Is there a rest mounting hole on the bow? If there is, get him a rest that will allow him to shoot vanes. He will be much more accurate and will enjoy learning to shoot all the more. They are our future!

frankm

No, there is no rest. It's a generic target bow with the ambidexterous handle that you buy for about 30 bucks anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I see no problem with plastic anyway. The archers paradox will bent the arrow aroudn the shelf - no matter what vanes you use.

willow ms

You are correct Simon, but when we shot off the shelf or shelf type stick on rest, we always prefered feathers. I prefer to shoot vanes altogether. They hold up under adverse conditions and give you added downrange speed. I,m with Simon I would stick with the vanes! Does he use a mechanical release?

frankm

No, he's shooting with fingers. The bow looks like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes for plastic - again and again and agaaain and .. )