Thread: Martin Jaguar Takedown arrow spine weight

frankm

Default Martin Jaguar Takedown arrow spine weight

I have a 50# Martin Jaguar Recurve. My AMO draw length is 27 inches. The bow draw weight is 51 lbs. at my draw length. I want to get arrows, probably cut to 28 inches, maybe 28 1/2. I was thinking about .500 spine. Do you think .500 arrows at my draw weight are too light? Dangerous? Or do you think they're ok?
    Last edited by frankm; 03-12-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow spine

That depends on whether you intend to hunt with it. .500 might be a bit light when you try to get a broadhead to fly out of it. Because the Jaguar is cut past center-shot it is a bit more sensitive to correct spine. For hunting you can always get a heavier spined arrow to fly better than a lighter spined one. It's also more forgiving.

If you're going to punch paper with it, you can probably tune in a .500 and shoot it well. Look at the Easton charts. They are pretty close on proper spine for a given weight/length. They have two charts; one for target and one for hunting. You'll notice the hunting charts go a little stiffer for the same set up. Also notice, point weight (hunting chart) matters.

mike

frankm

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to buy .500 arrows and have them explode on me!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you check the charts and get the right spine. I neglected to years ago. I was also shooting wooden arrows. The scars have finally faded....