Thread: Anyone hunting with a long A2A bow from a climber treestand?

Hybrid View

Archer Dude

Default Anyone hunting with a long A2A bow from a climber treestand?

I have normally used 33" A2A and shorter bows for climber treestand hunting. In fact, most have been 30 inch or shorter bows including as short as 27" A2A. It just seemed to be the thing to do for the light weight and manuverability.

However, I really shoot a longer bow much better and I find them easier to draw so I am thinking of switching to a 36" A2A bow for next season. I am 6' 1" and use 29" draw length.

Anyone out there using a 36" A2A or longer bow in a climber treestand?

If so, do the longer bows get in the way or have clearance problems shooting around the climber treestand or your other equipment?

Should I stay short or is a 36" bow reasonably workable up in a tree?

Any insights regarding your own experiences will be appreciated.

I would especially like to hear from guys that have used both long and short bows.

Best wishes.

flytier17

A longer bow is always harder to maneuver. however, the added stability and forgiveness can make it worth it if you will put up with the maneuverability.

I shoot a 38" Slayer from a climber, and have never had an issue with the practice shots i have taken. I have never shot at a live deer yet, but the practice shots weren't a problem. i find the shallower string angle from the long A2A is morwe of a hassle with clothing, particularily if you have binoculars or deer calls hanging from your neck.

alec

J758

Default Treestand

I hunt out of a treestand and I used a really old mossy oak bow before I bought a modern bow and I wasn't affected by the lenght of ghe bow sure your mobile efforts are gonna be some what resricted it's all about how you prep yourself before hunting try it in the woods and practice there that's what I do. So I've used both and just prep differently like pack a few less things to gain more mobility and give yourself more room in the stand for longer bow. My rule is if it's not comfortable to you before you place a shot you shouldn't take a shot

Post Thanks / Like

I hunted with a 37 inch ATA bow for several years. I practiced shooting it from a treestand. It was never a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long ATA

I've never really seen a problem with long ATA bows. As a finger shooter, I insist on them. For several years I've hunted with an Oneida Eagle. I'm not sure of the ATA, but it has to be about 40-45" with its hinged limbs. I've shot deer in front, behind, and beside the stand much as I would standing on the ground.

I plan to hunt with a Jaguar TD recurve this season and don't expect any additional problems with the 60" length.I guess the key is to make sure to minimize obstructions and pay attention to what's around you when you shoot.

As a suggestion, hang your stand on a tree in the off season and practice shooting from it - even if you're only a foot or two off the ground. With your climber, you can easily move it around the tree to simulate different shooting angles. By the time season opens you'll be confident and ready.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, I can't believe the positive responses for longer bows. I purposely stayed out of this thread yesterday just to see what would happen.

Now I do have to chime in. I have been shooting compounds for over 36 years. I've rarely ever had much of a problem shooting from elevated positions unless it was nearly a straight down shot. Much of this was earlier in my career when the bows were 48" to 50" long, which was quite normal for the times.

Somewhere along the way somebody got this mistaken thought that shorter would be better. It has gravitated into the brains of younger people that nothing over 32" is acceptable when shooting from treestands. Poor souls!!!
    Because they have never shot or in some cases even seen a longer bow they have no idea of some of the their virtues.

In a lot of cases a person uses his hunting bow for 3D, or even some occasional target. To my way of thinking, most do a heap more shooting during the spring and summer than they do during hunting season. Doing this they need a bow that is accurate, smooth, and forgiving.

If it were me I'd gladly give up the "maybe" one shot in 20 years that the longer bow "might" not work so well in a hunting situation. But then, being me I'm going to have a bow for each type of shooting. That being said, I have lost the burning desire to hunt (age and burnout). Being a short draw fellow at 26.5" I still prefer a longer than average bow, with about 36" being minimum. I really prefer something between 37" and 39", but finding a Martin bow that gets the job done and witin my draw length specs is getting harder and harder these days. Guess that's why I moved to Rytera.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver