Thread: Cougar Magnum

BowhunTn

Default Cougar Magnum

I have a cougar magnum with the fusion cam. The brace height is 6 7/8". The bow shoots hard and load. I want make the bow smoother shooitng and reduce the noise. I was thinkinking of increasing the brace height. What is the max for the brace height? Thanks

Myk

From experience of short stringing bows way back when, if you short string to increase the brace you will make it louder not quieter.

BowhunTn

any recommendations?

BowhunTn

The reason I was asking about the brace height. I read this in a tuning guide,,
    "1. Basic set-up
    1.1 Bracing height
    Bracing height should initially be set according to the manufacturer’s recommendation. Matthews
    (Matthews 1980) suggests setting the bracing height in the upper half of the recommended range,
    initially, to help guarantee good arrow clearance and a forgiving shot. This is a good rule for initial
    set-up.
    Better speed is attained with lower bracing height, but at the risk of a ‘critical’ shot. As set-up and
    tuning progresses, it may be worth reducing the bracing height to explore the practical operating
    range. Bracing height is most easily assessed on the basis of the sound of the shot; the bow will
    become progressively more noisy as the bracing height moves away from the optimum. Part of
    that results from increased string impact on the bow limb recurve. Perhaps equally importantly, the
    bracing height affects the point at which the arrow leaves the string, and careful adjustment can
    locate points where the arrow leaves most cleanly. Sound is the most direct guide; arrow flight
    may also be an indication, but this is better dealt with by fine or micro tuning methods (section 6)"

Myk

That sounds like tuning for recurve to me. You don't do that with compounds, at least not and be sanctioned by the manufacturers.

Do you have Limbsavers and string silencers on your bow?
    How heavy of arrows are you shooting? The closer you get to 5 grains per pound the louder you're going to get.

BowhunTn

I have limb savers on the limbs and string. The bow is set at 65# I'm shooting 29" 2413's with feathers and 125 gr. field point.
    Easton charts show these arrows for my bow.

I also shot the same 2413's on my Martin Rage split limb with fusion cam set at 64#. It is smooth and quite.

I may try baking the Cougars weight down 5-10# to see if that helps. The cougar shoots so hard that after 2-3 shots my Alpine soft loc quiver pops loose.

bengal1

Angry

No offense to Bowhuntn or martin archery but i disdain the cougar magnum and think it a waste to put junk into them.

tjb357452

The C4 Cougar Magnum I just picked up is quiet, and respectably fast. We have 3 other Cougar lll Elites that are smoother to draw, but not any quieter. I removed the string imbedded silencers and noticed no difference in noise. The C4 I have seems to be a very nice bow. I'm shooting 26.5 DL @ 54 pounds on Nitrous Bs with cable guard. I use 2114 XX75s with 75 grain points and 4" feathers. I'm actually very happy with this bow and find it quieter than a lot of other bows our family owns.

BowhunTn

I backed the limbs off 2 turns and it helps with the noise and shock. I was at 67# I'm guessing that I'm around 60# now(my hanson scale has came up missing) I readjusted my 30 & 40 yard pins The bow is still shooting good groups. A little more tweaking with my Rage and I'll be ready to start shooting broadheads. The season opens up here on the 23rd