Thread: Bow press question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bow press question

I am thinking about buying a bow press for servicing my bows. I am looking at the Apple or the Bow-A-Constrictor. I currently have a '06 ShadowCat, a 2010 ShadowCat and will have an Alien Z Real Soon Now -assuming Rytera ever gets them in stock...

Question is, will either of these presses cause problems?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

ive got 3 martins and an alien X and havent used a press on any of them. just back out the limb bolts 2 full turns at a time till the strings loose enough to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

or buy one of those portable bow presses... I built one for my bench for about $ 60.00 and I think it will work on most all bows ?????
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

fxdwgkd

Quote Originally Posted by ezbite View Post
    ive got 3 martins and an alien X and havent used a press on any of them. just back out the limb bolts 2 full turns at a time till the strings loose enough to work with.
    Just replaced the strings on my 09 Firehawk using this method. Works like a dream and you are not putting any extra force on the limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just an FYI...

Backing out the limb bolts on the Nemesis will not allow you to loosen the strings. With it you have to have a press.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried it with my bengal and don't plan to. I have a ccs and the limb bolts are already half way out at 68lbs. I don't see were a press would put any undo stress on the limbs??? When you pull back the string to shoot, it goes beyond the point it takes to loosen the string to work on it in a press .
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    I haven't tried it with my bengal and don't plan to. I have a ccs and the limb bolts are already half way out at 68lbs. I don't see were a press would put any undo stress on the limbs??? When you pull back the string to shoot, it goes beyond the point it takes to loosen the string to work on it in a press .
    I am absolutely positive that you can relax the string and cable on your Bengal by backing out the limb bolts.

A press doesn't put undo stress on the limbs, it can put undo stress on the riser, if not properly installed in the press, or if you use an old, poorly designed press.

I am surprised that the Nemesis needs a press. The only other Martin bows that can't be relaxed by backing out the limb bolts, are the ones with SE limb pockets.

I use a Sure-loc X-press for all of my bows. It works very well and there are adapters available for pressing the past-parallel "super limb" bows.

Post Thanks / Like

If Sagittarius has the original 34 inch cable on his bengal and he has upgraded to the CCS I seriously doubt he would be able to back the bolts off far enough to get slack the string and cable to remove. He stated he has his backed off and still at 68 lbs. If he has put a 34.5 inch cable on it then he probably can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I am absolutely positive that you can relax the string and cable on your Bengal by backing out the limb bolts.

A press doesn't put undo stress on the limbs, it can put undo stress on the riser, if not properly installed in the press, or if you use an old, poorly designed press.

I am surprised that the Nemesis needs a press. The only other Martin bows that can't be relaxed by backing out the limb bolts, are the ones with SE limb pockets.
    I use a Sure-loc X-press for all of my bows. It works very well and there are adapters available for pressing the past-parallel "super limb" bows.
    Suprised me too. I have had 8 or 9 Martins since the early '90's and this is the first one that I couldn't just back the bolts out to slacken the rigging.