Thread: New '09 MOAB owner would appreciate any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default New '09 MOAB owner would appreciate any suggestions

Good evening,

Long time hunter but shiny new to archery. Been lurking in the forum and after receiving my '09 MOAB, couldn't think of a better place to pose questions/concerns.

Bought the bow bare and had it set up at a mom & pop shop with a Whisker Biscuit rest, sight, peep, stabilizer. Seems to shoot fine after practice Friday and today (about 75 - 100 arrows). Shooting at 55#/401 grain arrow/28" draw/no kisser or cat whiskers. I'm hitting 237 fps on the chrono. Feel that's slow. Although I lack any reference due to inexperience, the bow feels good and in 2 days my form and accuracy has improved. Plan to shoot at 60#next weekend.

I've got some concerns that may or may not be well founded. As I'm new to archery (but learning fast) I probably don't even know what I don't know.

1. 237 fps seems slow.
    2. The peep sight was installed with a four-way split of the string. Would this rob speed?
    3. It seems the idler wheel is freying the string as only that area shows visible wear?
    4. Would serving the string around the idler wheel steal fps?
    5. I know I can cut the arrows shorter (lighter), there's plenty of room for that, and of course I can crank up the draw weight. Any suggestions for making the bow more efficient given the current numbers?

As I hinted, not sure if these are reasonable concerns. My main goal is to create an efficient hunting tool, however, with all new things, I'm enjoying the pursuit of the technical and physical aspects of archery.

Thanks for any advice. I enjoy reading all the posts and feedback.

LMJii, ignorant but working on it in FL
    '09 MOAB/55# and climbing/28" draw/401 gr.

Dave308

Ok, I’ll try to help (as much as I can). 1st loose the peep, you are better off with a peep that has the rubber tube if you plan to shoot the factory string so you have a better field of view. (I’ll focus on the string later).

As for the wheel fraying your string, make sure you don’t have any lean in the wheel or any sharp edges on the sides of the wheel. Also it won’t hurt to have the top of it served, actually it’s recommended.

Now if you want to kill a few birds with one stone you can get a custom set of strings. This will solve your serving over the wheel problem and string twist problem so you can shoot a tubeless peep, like a G5. You will also gain a few fps.

As for your arrows, you can shoot 5 grains per pound, minimum. This means at 55 pounds you can shoot an overall arrow weight of 275 grains and at 60 pounds an overall weight of 300 grains. Light arrows mean more speed but it’s harder on your bow and makes your bow louder. You kind of need to find a happy in between, not real heavy and not real light.

I’m sure I missed a few things so hopefully others can help out to.
    Last edited by Dave308; 03-20-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Dave308

Oh, BTW the MOAB is an awesome bow

Walt Hagemeister

Default Fellow Moab Owner

I too have 09 Moab.... I shoot max draw length and weight. Arrow weight is 420g and chrono at 273fps. I have not had a single issue with any aspects of this bow except draw length. I am turning to a shadowcat with cat2's to get my 32 in draw. I advise you get it paper tuned, also there is a way to align upper wheel with the string to stop it's wear ( was done for me in a shop ) and after some very simple lessons on my technique I was drilling arrows 20 to 50 yards from golf ball size bull at 20 to softball at 50.

mmasteve

i had the same problem with the idler wheel eating my string. i took it back to the shop. they contacted martin and had martin send a 2010 style wheel and new string with serving around the wheel and it fixed it. the new style wheel has a wider track and rounded edges unlike the 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the help

I appreciate the responses very much.

I've also learned that the bow maxes out at 64.5 lbs draw and the top limb, when cranked down, does not sit clean on the riser. I'm going to work with a bowsmith this weekend to determine if there is a real concern. Also plan on paper tuning. Hope this all works out.

Thanks again for the responses. I appreciate learning.

LMJii

Post Thanks / Like

What part of FL, if you don't mind me asking?
    '09 Warthog, QAD HD, Sword Centurian, Scott Sabretooth