Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel on Pantera appears to be leaning

guntercb

Question Wheel on Pantera appears to be leaning

I have a new Pantera and really love it. The idler wheel appears to be leaning. It appears to lean such that it points to the CCS and it appears maybe Martin designed it to "lean" a bit. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or should the wheel be plumb when the bow is plumb? If it should be plumb can I try to fix it somehow? Or if the bow seems to shoot fine should I just leave it?

Thanks,
    Chris

deanrm

Chris,

You can adjust the amount of idler wheel lean by removing the 'long' side of the cable yolk and adding a few twists. You can check the amount of lean by putting a straight edge on the side of the wheel, and run it along your string. They should be parallel.

Dean

guntercb

Quote Originally Posted by deanrm View Post
    Chris,

You can adjust the amount of idler wheel lean by removing the 'long' side of the cable yolk and adding a few twists. You can check the amount of lean by putting a straight edge on the side of the wheel, and run it along your string. They should be parallel.

Dean
    Dean,

Thanks. I will be sure to adjust the yolk and get the wheel to be parallel with my string. Any clue how it got off kilter from Martin?

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guntercb View Post
    Dean,

Thanks. I will be sure to adjust the yolk and get the wheel to be parallel with my string. Any clue how it got off kilter from Martin?

Thanks,
    Chris
    It's just the way they are assembled. They don't take the time to align the idler wheel. Doing so is kind of trial-and-error and they can assemble another bow in the time this takes.

You're going to find that what we call cam lean is actually the limb tips being twisted to the side that the cable guard and slide are on. The yokes on the cable are the same length. The yoke going to the oppostie side as the cable guard needs to be longer to straighten out the idler. Well, strings aren't made that way so what you have to do is twist up the near side yoke to make it shorter.

It's most prevalent in single cam bows, but almost all bows with a cable guard are susceptable to it. Some are worse than others. The only way you get totally rid of it is to get a bow with a shoot through cable system like Martin's X cams.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

my fuzion cam leans to the right, i have a left handed bow. does that mean i have to twist the left cable to straighten it. one more thing, do you check lean at rest or full draw. thanks
    '01 Phantom Magnum
    hostage rest
    Radial X Weave stl hunter 300
    impact sights
    '10 Firecat TR2 60#

guntercb

BFisher,

Thanks for the response. It is great to get the support from this forum.

Russ,

You can see my cam lean at rest. Checking lean at full draw sounds dangerous to me. But maybe someone else can is chime in on your question.

Cheers,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default to check 'cam lean' at full draw

" Checking lean at full draw sounds dangerous to me"
    Have someone stand behind you while you draw your bow, if no one is avaible, try standing with your back to a mirror, draw the bow and look at the suspect cam.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

brushrat

This is a very common problem with single cam bows. Not having this problem with my dual cam bows it really freaked me out. I got help on this forum and twisted up the yoke about 8 twists and stopped the string wear immediately.

Having said that..... I think bow manufacturers should realize (and i guarentee they do) that customers may need to deal with idler lean adjustment and just dedicate a space in their "bow owner manuals" , because not everyone has access to a forum.

guntercb

OK, I fixed my idle wheel lean and looked at my bottom cam and it is leaning too. Is there any way to correct this bottom cam lean? Or do I have to live with it?

Thanks,
    Chris

guntercb

Anyone have any thoughts on if I should worry about my cam leaning? What degree cam lean would be out of specifications?

Thanks,
    Chris