Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Issue

AlienX

Default Arrow Issue

I not sure if this is were I should post this.
    I am haveing a sighting in issue i have been shooting powerflight 400 arrows and amtrying out some axis 400 but the new arrows are shooting way left (about 3" @ 10 yards) Is it cause of the spine? will adjusting the poundage fix the prob I'm at around 60lbs. thanks for any help

Walt Hagemeister

sounds like arrow rest is out of alignment with your site. Or perhaps you are torquing your grip at release.

Post Thanks / Like

Default new bow stage 2

i guess double check your rest but i also have had the same problem when switching arrows, they also had a tendacey to shoot left about 3 to 4 in at 20 yds if i moved my sight i has back on and good to go , me thinks its the arrows ,because if i switch back i have to reverse the sight , good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Not all arrows with the same spine rating (400 e.g.) will have the exact same deflection on a spine meter. Checking the specs for various manufacturers or models of arrows within a brand will confirm this.

My guess is the Axis 400's are slightly weaker than the others. Generally, a weaker spine will shoot to the left if everything else stays the same.

Like others have said you can fix it by adjusting the rest. You can move your sight to compensate. You can also use a lighter tip which has the effect of increasing the spine.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Since they're both Easton arrows, and from what I can see, very close in spine/weight (inserts weigh a few grain different), I would suspect bow/rest tuning issues over arrow spine throwing it off.......especially 3" at only 10yds.
    Is fletching the same and/or same position? Maybe some vanes contact on the new ones?
    (also assuming we're talking field points of same size and don't have a insert alignment problem)
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

AlienX

i am using the same vanes on both arrows i am certian there isn't any contact on my drop away rest

Post Thanks / Like

First off, what is the draw length of the bow and how long are the arrows. Anywhere from 27" to 29" you should be closer to center with a 400 spine and 60#. Have you tried bare shaft tuning?

If you don't already have a copy try downloading Easton's Tuning Guide. You can find a link in the Tuning forum on AT. Print it and use it forever.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

AlienX,

After just looking thru some of your previous posts, I'm retracting my comment about it probably not being a spine issue.....in part

I still don't think it's only the difference in spine between those two arrows, but that, if you're trying to get max speed over 300fps, a 400 spine could easily be too light for your 70lb set-up.
    Even though the Powerflight may have been flying ok, my guess is it was still likely too weak. The Axix FMJ you got is still weak, probably has a lower F.O.C. balance (guessing 10% or less?), then add to that maybe slightly off tuning, and weird whipping flight problems could show up.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

AlienX

thanks guys Mr fisher to answer you question the arrows i shoot are 28". and RLW ive found that set up to be to noisy for huning and have cranked the bow down to around 63#

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlienX View Post
    ........RLW ive found that set up to be to noisy for huning and have cranked the bow down to around 63#
    I imagine it was.
    Even down at 63lbs, the 400 might be a little weak for your bow, and I would still recheck tune as bfisher mentioned above, plus arrow balance.....the FMJ is a heavier arrow, but w/lighter insert so (IMO) needs a heavier point to get proper forward balance for best arrow flight. (really important w/broadheads.....again, IMO)

I have some 29" Beman ICS Camo Hunter 400 w/100gr points that flew nice out of my older Firecat (69lb draw, finger release as noted in sig below), but my Bengal set at only 64lbs did not like them, especially with broadheads.

Last fall right after I got the Bengal, I was sighting in w/my broadheads.....the 400's planned off several inches off to the side and high at 20yds.
    Put the same heads on the 30" Beman ISC Hunter 340's I had with me, and shots cleaned up, going right in there where same arrows were hitting w/fld points out to 40yds.