Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting weight

J758

Default Hunting weight

I have been shooting 417 total grain and am d
    really happy with it until I shot a 325 grain arrow and all I have to say is wow. It is a bone hunter 28 inch draw and my weight is set at 65 lbs should I stick with the heavy arrow or go to the light one I wanted to use heavy ones at first cause it is more quiet and it has a punch with my heavy arrows I can shoot 28 yards and in with them anyone have opions that might know more than me also I was wanting to shoot 3d with the same set up

Sonny

I personally would stick to the heavier arrow. It is going to pack more of a punch for you and still be more than fast enough. If you can hit where you are aiming then you will be better off w/ the heavier arrow in my opinion. The deer or 3d target are going to care how fast your arrow gets to them, but you will care on far you have to chase that deer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enjoy in moderation

Really easy to put together an arrow that is right around 380gn.
    Still will pass thru anthing yer going to hunt here and you pick up a little speed for the foam critters.

tommyhydro

Default my .02

i shoot heavy arrows and have "harvested" 8 deer w/ my bow and still have yet to have an arrow not pass thru on an animal.....go heavy over speed, 380-400 is good

Post Thanks / Like

Shot placement is the key. I would look ar your kinetic energy more than speed. There are calculators and graphs out there that will suggest what kinetic energy you should have to hunt specific big game animals. I shot 62 lbs draw weight last year with 424 grain arrow at 245 ft/s and arrow passed thru on the deer I took last fall.
    Last edited by treadwayc; 03-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.

RogerSr

I've been Bow hunting for more then fifty years, first with recurves and then compounds, as I've got older I've went down in my draw weight, let me say that I have killed more then 100 head of big game in that time and that is just with a bow, I've also killed them with guns, right now I'm using bows in the 50# range the last 12 dear that I've killed were with 307gr arrows and I have gotten pass through on all of them, it's not arrow weight or poundage it's shot placement

Post Thanks / Like

One place I've found that is pretty good for figuring out an arrow set-up is www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php They have a page that let's you change IBO, draw weight, draw length, arrow length, basically everything. Then it computes your actual arrow speed, and kinetic energy. Just make sure you know, or have a good guess at everything about your arrow. Nock weight, fletch weight, insert weight, etc. I played on that site alot until I finally settled on what I am shooting now. Really helped me.

Post Thanks / Like

with a compound bow , around 400 grns. is a good arrow weight. i mess around with lighter weight arrows all the time, everone likes a little speed sometimes. but for hunting i will stay with the 400 grns.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    One place I've found that is pretty good for figuring out an arrow set-up is www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php They have a page that let's you change IBO, draw weight, draw length, arrow length, basically everything. Then it computes your actual arrow speed, and kinetic energy. Just make sure you know, or have a good guess at everything about your arrow. Nock weight, fletch weight, insert weight, etc. I played on that site alot until I finally settled on what I am shooting now. Really helped me.
    It is NOT accurate at calculating arrow speed, KE or momentum with heavier arrows. All it does is subtract 1 F.P.S. for every three grains of arrow weight.

In real life, a bow always becomes more efficient as weight is added to the arrow. The "back country bowhunting" program, does not factor that in.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, I hadn't noticed that, but hadn't tested too many arrows on it either. The ones I did test, came out almost exactly to what they computed as far as speed. Within 1-2 fps. These were lighter weight arrows though.