Thread: Cheetah Cam Lean

zrwalter13

Default Cheetah Cam Lean

I'm interested in purchasing a new Cheetah. I noticed that the top cam has a lean. The shop tech told me that its a result of the cable guide pulling the cables away from the arrow and that it is normal. I seen a lot of other bows that had cams that didn't lean. Is this normal? The top end of the upper cam leans to the left. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool new bow stage 2

yep kinda seems that way mine dose the same thing. if u back off the guide to give your fletching enough clearance it should lessen . shoot straight live long and prosper

oncechance

I have a Firecat TR1 and my idler wheel had a lean also. The pro shop can get the lean out by adding twists to either one of the yoke cables, depending which way the idller wheel is leaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zrwalter13 View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing a new Cheetah. I noticed that the top cam has a lean. The shop tech told me that its a result of the cable guide pulling the cables away from the arrow and that it is normal. I seen a lot of other bows that had cams that didn't lean. Is this normal? The top end of the upper cam leans to the left. Thanks for any help.
    The tech is correct.

The idler wheel can be "adjusted" to be straight at brace, by adding twist to one side of the split yoke, but that is only a superficial "adjustment". It doesn't do anything about real cam lean.

As the cam provides let-off from the string, it is actually transferring more load to the cable. This occurs throughout the draw cycle, but is most significant in the "valley", at the end of the draw stroke.

Since the cable track is only on one side of the cam, it is impossible for the cam to remain laterally balanced from brace, to full draw. Since the cable load is increased, it is impossible for the yoke to remain balanced as well.

Along with those two design problems, the cable guard itself pulls the limbs to the side as the bow is drawn back.

Basically, as long as the majority of the market demands that the cables be pulled to one side of the arrow, cam lean isn't going to go away.

You have two options, solve the problem with a shoot-through cam/cable system, or bury your head in the sand and ignore it.

brushrat

YES....what he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up new bow stage 2

kudos copter doc great answer i like the sand part the best