Thread: Sight/stabilizer bushings on a Dreamcatcher?

Nathan2008

Question Sight/stabilizer bushings on a Dreamcatcher?

My intro to Martin Archery was through a 2008 Martin Dreamcatcher that my dad had made for me as a gift because of my continuing interest in the sport: 50# at 28" -- an honest dream to shoot, and my first real bow.

At the time, I was confident in my abilities to go without sight/stabilizer bushings. I'd been studying for about a year under a coach teaching basic archery at the college I went to -- he was a good coach that used to compete, but we learned to shoot without sights, stabilizers, or aids of any kind: straight barebow. I got good enough to shoot consistent 4"-6" groups at 25 yards, even with the crappy plastic stick bows we had (I think the heaviest was 40#).

After I got the Martin, I got out of archery for awhile because school got tough, but I'm getting back into it.

I'm wanting to amp up my standards and start training to shoot under some competition standards. The only way, in my mind, is to get a good competition sight, and look into getting a target stabilizer -- like the decked out Hoyt bows that Olympic archers use.

But ... all that stuff on a Martin Dreamcatcher? I can't even imagine exactly how that would look, or where Martin Archery would put the bushings. The handle on the Dreamcatcher is so graceful. And the Dreamcatcher seems to be pretty much designed as a barebow.

But at this point, I hardly have the money to go out and get a Hoyt to use as a competition/target bow, and I'd like to make my Dreamcatcher a little more hunt worthy. Having at least a sight would help with confidence out there.

Anyway, long post but, what are your opinions on putting sight/stabilizer bushings on a Martin Dreamcatcher? Anybody gone through with it? I'd like to see what it would look like, so if anybody has pictures of even a sight/stabilizer on a trad. recurve like the Dreamcatcher, I'd like to see before sending her back to the factory for the bushings.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if it is worth it.

The Dreamcatcher is build for its purpose as a barebow and i do not think that it will look that great with all the target accessoires. You can try it but i fear that it will hrut the look of this wonderful bow.

I am even not sure if this would work as you need a wider sight window to be able to use a sight and also the shelf must be wide enough to get an arrow rest into it that lines up with the string...

There are some quite cheap bows made by W&W, Samick and also Hoyt that can be used as a starter bow for competition recurve archery. Made of aluminium or carbon and not that high priced. Maybe you can think this through again...
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Montalaar. The Dreamcatcher is a 60" bow and built with a different purpose than target archery. At 50# I think would have a difficult time maintaining correct form and follow-through. The Olympic style bows are usually longer and lighter which makes drawing and holding them through the aiming cycle much easier.

An alternative to modifying your Dreamcatcher or purchasing a high-end target bow might be a good used bow from eBay or maybe consider something like the Jaguar. The Jaguar can be had for a reasonable price in a lower poundage and comes drilled and tapped for all the accessories you'll need to shoot targets with a sight, stabilizer, V-bars, etc.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't touch the beautiful Dreamcatcher and i think it's impossible to add accessories without ruining it. A good alternative is Perfect Line from Taiwan - very cheap and good quality bows. A couple of weeks ago i've bought a recurve - 45#, nice to shoot, accepting stabilizer(i've add one of theirs) and sight (i shoot it without a sight), nice autumn camo; it's the same as the PSE Kingfisher (guess Perfect Line makes some of the PSE cheaper bows). The price here is 88 euros or about 120$, but may be in the States they are cheaper. They have some other models, mine is RE 007 (nothing to do with Bond ).
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Nathan2008

Default You're right

Thanks guys, you told me what I needed. I'm leaving this one barebow. There's no way I could send her off for that cutting. I don't even know why Martin Archery offers sight/stabilizer bushings on their trad. bows -- I hadn't thought about the need to change from the traditional arrow rest. In all honesty, I'm good enough with it as it is -- good enough to hunt. A sight would just be a crutch.

Best to leave things how they are than try to make them something they aren't.

Now ... the search for a reasonably priced Hoyt Helix riser. Since they're discontinued by Hoyt ... maybe I could get lucky? I'd take the "top of the line" from a few years ago. What's the real difference among those high-end recurves, anyway? I'll need to save some funds, but this spring/summer would be a fine time to start building and learning how to tune a target setup. There's nothing more relaxing than an afternoon of meditative archery in nice weather.
    Last edited by Nathan2008; 04-13-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is not that much difference at all.

The more pricier ones from Hoyt have some advanced possibility to adjust the limbs and tiller. maybe there is even no difference now.

The only difference is that the newest Hoyt top of the line bow needs a new limb style (I think it is the Formula-series).
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

me2354

Thumbs up

Valve:flow control valve,ball valve,solenoid valve,check valve,butterfly valve,gate valve,relief valve,air valve,egr valve,safety valve,fisher valve,mixing valve,blow off valve,plug valve,globe valve,needle valve,sloan valve,water valve,pressure reducing valve,hydraulic valve,industrial valve,steam valve,diverter valve,vortex valve,plastic valve,pcv valve,flush valve,float valve,brass valve,sprinkler valve,vacuum valve,gas valve,shower valve
    Pipe:tobacco pipe,pipe bender,pipe fitting,steel pipe,hookah pipe,pipe plug,pipe locator,glass pipe,galvanized pipe,pvc pipe,pipe bending,water pipe,concrete pipe,drain pipe,plastic pipe,pex pipe,exhaust pipe,meerschaum pipe,pipe insulation,pipe cleaner,half pipe,quarter pipe,aluminum pipe,polyethylene pipe,pipe clamp,sewer pipe,peace pipe,cobra pipe,hdpe pipe,motorcycle pipe,gas pipe,fmf pipe,stove pipe,smoking pipe,abs pipe,ductile iron pipe,metal pipe,soil pipe,hose pipe,weed pipe,cast iron pipe,irrigation pipe,briar pipe,plumbing pipe,pitch pipe,clay pipe, light pipe,flexible pipe,corrugated pipe
    Hose:hose reel,garden hose,hydraulic hose,fire hose,air hose,compression hose,flexible hose,watering hose,rubber hose,soaker hose,vacuum hose,hose clamp,hose fitting,braided hose,radiator hose,panty hose,fuel hose,silicone hose,pressure hose,san hose,industrial hose,shower hose,flat hose,brake hose,power hose,heater hose,coil hose,gas hose,hose nozzle,pvc hose,parker hose,suction hose,pool hose,hose connector,washer hose,plastic hose,exhaust hose,propane hose,dryer hose,discharge hose,lawn hose,marine hose,gates hose,coolant hose,sprinkler hose,hose adapter,layflat hose,stainless steel hose,metal hose,hose clip,retractable hose,samco hose,ac hose,hose crimper,drip hose
    Fittingvc fitting,copper fitting,brass fitting,tube fitting,compression fitting,stainless steel fitting,hydraulic fitting,sanitary fitting,parker fitting,plastic fitting,light fitting,bra fitting,bathroom fitting,plumbing fitting,tyre fitting,gas fitting,electrical fitting,saddle fitting,kitchen fitting,air fitting,grease fitting,conduit fitting,door fitting,bulkhead fitting,shower fitting
    Flangeipe flange,stainless steel flange,toilet flange,closet flange,exhaust flange,anchor flange,weld neck flange
    Tube:inner tube,stainless steel tube,test tube,water tube,feeding tube,float tube,vacuum tube,copper tube,plastic tube,groove tube,tube bender,pitot tube,aluminum tube,fluorescent tube,mailing tube,rubber tubing,shrink tubing,poly tube,pex tubing,pvc tubing

Email:hhpipe@hotmail.com
    http://www.allsteelpipes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan2008 View Post
    Thanks guys, you told me what I needed. I'm leaving this one barebow. There's no way I could send her off for that cutting. I don't even know why Martin Archery offers sight/stabilizer bushings on their trad. bows -- I hadn't thought about the need to change from the traditional arrow rest. In all honesty, I'm good enough with it as it is -- good enough to hunt. A sight would just be a crutch.

Best to leave things how they are than try to make them something they aren't.

Now ... the search for a reasonably priced Hoyt Helix riser. Since they're discontinued by Hoyt ... maybe I could get lucky? I'd take the "top of the line" from a few years ago. What's the real difference among those high-end recurves, anyway? I'll need to save some funds, but this spring/summer would be a fine time to start building and learning how to tune a target setup. There's nothing more relaxing than an afternoon of meditative archery in nice weather.
    Place a WTB ad in the Trad section of Archery Talk and you may find a good deal on what your looking for.