Thread: Homemade Bag Field point Target

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Bag Field point Target

Hey All,
    So after blowing through several different kinds of layered foam and bag field point targets at much expense I decided that i was going to build my own. I went down to the feed store and got a large burlap sack. I proceded to stuff it with anything cloth and fluffy the other half would part with. I started with a folded comforter, a couple of old pillows, and then cut an old area rug into pieces the same size as the sack and layered it on both sides of the comforter and pillows. All said and done it is about 15 inches thick. I set it up and let loose a few arrows out of my Alien X at 20 yards. Upon inspection the arrows were completely stopped inside the target, penetrating about 6 inches. Then to my disapointment arrow removal was a little difficult due to the carpet with its tight weave backing. It will do for now until I can save a few dollars for a higher end target that may last a little longer than the budget ones I have been buying. Just thought I'd share. I may remove the carpet and find something a bit more airy
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

I moved the old pillows to the front and the arrows come out much easier now
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option would be to stuff it with shrink wrap and other plastics. We actually sell targets stuffed with plastics. Each target's depth is just over a foot, but an arrow shot into it at point blank does not go through. Just make sure you have enough plastic in it.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use big cardboard boxes filled with newspapers or any other paper. I don't have a factory made target (it's hard to find one here and they cost 1/3 the price of a bow), so i use an old case full of clothes, including a woolen coat (this thing can stop any arrow ), or boxes with paper. Not fancy, but work good enough.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

O man

Thumbs up

I did the same thing and it works great! I shoot a lot and got tired of spending
    the money on targets. Burlap is cheep.

O man

I forgot to mention if you use old cloth fabric like old shirts etc, the arrows come out easy.

bigbob

We [our club] use big bags that are used for rubbish removal, stuffed with all manner of plastic sheeting. It is all tamped down with an old wool pres.We made the mistake of using old fly screen in some and nearly all got a hernia trying to get the arrows out.