Thread: 07 Slayer + Winners Choice Strings = PING!

Myst

Default 07 Slayer + Winners Choice Strings = PING!

Hi all,

i'm a newb to this forum but have been playing with my 07 Martin Slayer EX SE since getting it new in 2007 and thought i generally knew it well.... I'm extremely happy with the bow and its never let me down despite never having been tuned (never needed it to be honest!), but recently decided to treat her with a complete set of new strings.

I settled on the Winners Choice strings for their rep over here in Australia, ordered new cables and shoot string and duly went about changing out the strings. I used a bow press for the ease of the change, swapped out strings one at a time checking for sharp edges on the cams and lugs in the process.

Once all the strings were swapped out took off the bow press gradually, checking things as i wound off the pressure. All looked good, all the normal checks conducted but when i drew the bow back about 15cm (into a 30" draw) one of the loops on the cable let go and all hell broke loose.

Has anyone got any idea of why the loop might have broken? Had checked for sharp edges and there was no wear at all, and no-one i've asked over here has ever heard of a WC string letting go like that. Bow is 55-70lb set at 70, 30" draw, nitrous EX C cams, never been dry fired and simply scratching our heads as to why this happened. Could it have been a string failure due to manufacture fault or something i did to bugger it up?

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Hi all,

i'm a newb to this forum but have been playing with my 07 Martin Slayer EX SE since getting it new in 2007 and thought i generally knew it well.... I'm extremely happy with the bow and its never let me down despite never having been tuned (never needed it to be honest!), but recently decided to treat her with a complete set of new strings.

I settled on the Winners Choice strings for their rep over here in Australia, ordered new cables and shoot string and duly went about changing out the strings. I used a bow press for the ease of the change, swapped out strings one at a time checking for sharp edges on the cams and lugs in the process.

Once all the strings were swapped out took off the bow press gradually, checking things as i wound off the pressure. All looked good, all the normal checks conducted but when i drew the bow back about 15cm (into a 30" draw) one of the loops on the cable let go and all hell broke loose.

Has anyone got any idea of why the loop might have broken? Had checked for sharp edges and there was no wear at all, and no-one i've asked over here has ever heard of a WC string letting go like that. Bow is 55-70lb set at 70, 30" draw, nitrous EX C cams, never been dry fired and simply scratching our heads as to why this happened. Could it have been a string failure due to manufacture fault or something i did to bugger it up?

Many thanks

My guess would be about what you have stated. Just one of those things. Years ago I saw bows come out of the box with busted strings and even limbs. Stuff happens. Winner's Choice sgould have no problem replacing the faulty part.

By the way, welcome to the Tech forums.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Myst

Thanks Bfisher, for both the welcome and the advice! I get a bit of flack from mates at the local bowhunting club, they've all gone to Hoyt bows (aka the dark side!) so its nice to find some like-minded blokes and gals on here.

Have sent the strings back to Winners Choice, will keep you posted on the results

Cheers
    A