Thread: Broadhead hitting lower than Field point

Newf

Default Broadhead hitting lower than Field point

I've been practicing with my new Martin Born to Hunt 325 (Bengal) for a while now but only with field points.....Yesterday I thought it was time to give the broadheads a try and for some reason they hitting the target 6 inches lower at only 20 yards.....They are 100 grain field points and the broadheads are the same......I thought maybe it was the broadheads so I tried a different set of 100 grain ones that I had hunted with before and they are hitting 6 inches lower also......I never had this problem with my last bow so I'm thinking that it may have something to do with my set up......Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, bear season is only 2 weeks away!

Thanks,
    Newf(Jerry)

Post Thanks / Like

See if the nock position on the string is setup right. If something does not work as you want a broadhead might show it to you. With the large surface area it is more sensible and not as forgiving as a field point.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Nocking point definately sounds like the problem since you didn't mention any windage issues. There is a simple tuning exercise to correct this. It's just what you've been doing - shoot broadheads and field tips, now all you do is adjust nocking point until both hit in the same spot. In your case, raise the nocking point a couple of serving wraps and repeat your test. You might also try large fletching on the broadheads or instead of 3-fletch try a 4-fletch arrangement.

This sets up your bow to shoot both tips with the same sight. If you are perfectly tuned for field tips and perhaps shoot 3-D, you could use a second sight just for broadheads. I did this when I had only one bow for both target and hunting since I used heavier arrows for hunting. I had a hunting sight and a target sight.

mike

brushrat

try raising your rest in very slight increments ,you should start to see the broadheads getting closer to your target arrows. This is the part that is hard for a lot of people to understand.......broadheads react to very slight adjustments to nock (rest) position and target points do not. At some point through constant adjustment your broadheads will eventually catch up to where your target points are impacting. When they start grouping together then leave alone, and move only your sight to move groups up or down. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it was unintentional, but DRB must have meant to lower your nocking point a little (or raise the rest). If you can download a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide it spells out very well how to broadhead tune a bow.

Get on the Tuning section ofAechery Talk. In the Sticky's at the top there is a link for the Tuning Guide.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver