Thread: new bow stage 2

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up new bow stage 2

hey guys , just trying to figure my draw length again , is this how it goes? measure arms extended, tip to tip i get 66.5 divid by 2.5 my draw should be 26.4 ? is that correct ? im at 29 now with a d loop

Post Thanks / Like

That is at least an approximation.

But 2.5" more than measured is crazy!
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

ok i know im crazy as hooter owl , but whats the scoop on doing this montalaar is 26/4 my correct draw , and i should be useing a 27 draw mod then >?

Post Thanks / Like

Those are just numbers. If you feel mroe comfortable with a longer draw length than a short one than this is okay for you.

You could even post a picture when you are at full draw and post it here.

or search fur the threads from nuts&bolts at ArcheryTalk (this is what bfisher would suggest.. ) he has loads of knowledge.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Those are just numbers. If you feel mroe comfortable with a longer draw length than a short one than this is okay for you.

You could even post a picture when you are at full draw and post it here.

or search fur the threads from nuts&bolts at ArcheryTalk (this is what bfisher would suggest.. ) he has loads of knowledge.
    Yes, I would suggest threads by Nut&Bolts, but before even that I ould suggest rethinking this draw length idea. Maybe even going to the point of finding a good coach in the area.

Polaris, you are probably with ther majority of inexperienced or new shooters in that you are shooting at least a couple inches too long. I never put any stock in the idea that you should shoot what's commfortable for you. The problem with this idea is that, not knowing what you should have been shooting, you may have been shooting too long a draw for so long that your body becomes accustomed to it. That doesn't mean that you ever achieve the kind of accuracy you might be capable of, which is what usually suffers the most.

Probably, if you shortn the draw to something close to what you should be the bow will really feel wierd. You'll feel crunched up. It happens to everybody. It takes time for the body and mind to adjust to this new feel, and I don't mean a half dozen shots. It may take a month of serious shootng.
    And it might take longer, as I would suggest shortening up in stages. Drop an inch to 28" and then shoot for a couple weeks ( if you shoot 50-100 shots every day). Then down to 27" for a while. Then down to 26".

Give it some time for your body to transition, then start playing around with half inch increments up and down to see what gives you the best accuracy. Again, don't expect instant results when you make a change. Give it a little time. When you get it right, or close to right, you'll find that the bow will aim more solidly with less effort. That's the telltale sign.

I am of similar stature as you, being 5'8" tall with a wingspan of about 67". I shot 28 3/8" for a lot of years when shooting fingers. Then shortened to 27 1/2" and shot much better with release. Then in 2004 dropped to 27" and shot even better. After about 4 months I tried going back to 27 1/2" and found I had a very hard time controlling the bow. Anyway, now I'm shooting at 26 5/8" and no loop. This seems to be the best draw length for me with my present bow.

Anyway, this is just some suggestions. I don't need to see any pictures right now to guesstimate that right now you're not even close to being set up properly.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

bigbob

Have to agree with all bfisher has said. Shot for close to 30 years at around 31 - 31 1/2 and after consulting opinion on AT and providing photo at full draw dropped down a whole inch and boy does it feel better. As a finger shooter I'd get wild left swingers at times and now no more. Also my bow arm just goes naturally into place with absolutely no fidgeting about.The whole process just feels automatic, and at ease on the draw.What might feel okay now is probably just a learned response to adapting to an incorrect technique .Highly recommend you have a photo taken at full draw and analyse it. It can be a revelation to see just how your posture is at full draw.

Post Thanks / Like

ok guys i went to the pro shop and after he checked my span i should be a 27 draw, well before he changed the mods we did the u pull i will look stuff, and guess what , at 29 he says my draws perfect , go fig that , well after explaining my frustration with shooting this bow we went a little further , and all said and done , it was my peep doing the nasty on me . well for five bucks , he put a different style on , excited as i was , i drove home re sited ,almost in the dark , and i was punchin 1 in groups again , cant wait till i get home from werk to try her out again , hey barry i still cant fig it out why my draw as measured 26,5 end up im ok at 29 ?
    Last edited by polaris754; 04-20-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows? That's why there are general guidelines and then there is what works for an individual. I know that using the Wingspan method indicates I should shoot just about 26". This usually falls just a little short for me. And my draw varies a little from bow to bow, but rarely more than 1/4", usually closer to 1/8".

For the situation you are in is one reason I never suggest buying a bow that is draw length specific. Finding one's best draw length is not something you can just measure and get it right all the time. And as some of these experienced guys on here can tell you it's something that may take a long time, maybe years. It boils down to gaining knowledge about how a bow should aim for you and being open minded enough to experiment little.

As I stated above, since I shortened up to 26.5" now I find that I cannot control a bow very well that is only 1/2" longer than this. At any rate, enjoy shooting.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

yep Barry thanks for the info for sure ,but i can tell you after shooting the bow again today im all set , im back to 1 in groups again , and thats all that matters to me , i agree with you about what my draw should be ,and i think i argued that with the pro shop before, not only with this martin ,my old bow as well , which come to think of was a 30 in draw, that bow shot great for me till the limbs snapped . the thing that is still confusing to me is that all that was wrong was the peep ,i did have to re site it in , which i didnt think i would have to do , but dang thats how much it was off , goin sqiurrel huntin yehaaaaaaa,